Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Handbrake position
MK9R

posted on 27/3/03 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Handbrake position

We don't like the Sierra handbrake as it looks far to big, so have used a metro one which will fit great (a lot more compact and sits lower). We are going to offset the handbrake to the nearside so you can rest you arm on the tunnel whilst changing gear, but this means the balance bar is going to be a bit more tricky. Anybody done this, or got any ideas.

Also what ideas have people come up with for clamping/crimping the cables to the balance bar (i have seen zetecs but its going to bit a bit bulky for the available space with the offset handbrake. I think the balance bar will have to be vertical rather than horizontal.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
davef

posted on 27/3/03 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Hi MK9R, what i did was raise the tunnel by +- 50mm so the hand break could be set inside the rails and when finished would be flush with the top of the tunnel. i have since completed this and it looks and operates fine, plus it can remain central which makes cable mounting easier, also the tunnel height is just right for my elbow. there is a picture on my archive which will give you an idea what i mean although the handbrake was not fitted at the time i took the photo. as for cables go to your hardware store and ask for crosby clamps, which are for attaching cables. cheers davef.
davef

posted on 27/3/03 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Hi MK9R, what i did was raise the tunnel by +- 50mm so the hand break could be set inside the rails and when finished would be flush with the top of the tunnel. i have since completed this and it looks and operates fine, plus it can remain central which makes cable mounting easier, also the tunnel height is just right for my elbow. there is a picture on my archive which will give you an idea what i mean although the handbrake was not fitted at the time i took the photo. as for cables go to your hardware store and ask for crosby clamps, which are for attaching cables. cheers davef.
theconrodkid

posted on 27/3/03 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
i havnt got a balance ber as such,length of bowden cable from one caliper to the handbrake and back to the other caliper,where it attaches to the hand brake lever get 3 washers,2 large 1 about 10mm smaller,bolt through the centre and the cable runs through the grove you just made,simple like me really

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.