Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear suspension brackets
MikeRJ

posted on 20/4/06 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Rear suspension brackets

Finaly pulled my finger out and finished the brackets for the rear suspension. Wasn't happy with the standard brackets as they were so unsupported, even with a brace at the back. This is probably massive overkill, and it's certainly not the most lightweight solution but it should be robust.

Rear suspension bracket.
Rear suspension bracket.

Rear suspension bracket outside chassis
Rear suspension bracket outside chassis

Rear suspension bracket inside chassis
Rear suspension bracket inside chassis

Need to turn up some spacers to centralise the rod ends and get everything welded etc. I think the holes give enough articulation, but will check when shocks are mounted . Hopefully have it on it's wheels this weekend and then I can sort the engine mounts out. More progress today than in the last 2 years I think LOL.

MikeR

posted on 20/4/06 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
What thickness box have you used? Can't help thinking it looks a lot like 1.6mm. I'm not expert but i'd worry about the strength if it is.
MikeRJ

posted on 20/4/06 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
It's 50mm x 50mm x 3mm RHS. Bloody hard work to saw...

[Edited on 20/4/06 by MikeRJ]

Fred W B

posted on 20/4/06 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Are you going to powder coat the chassis? Otherwise I would worry about getting enough paint in there to prevent rust forming.

With regard to cutting 3 mm, have you tried a 1 mm cutting disc in a small angle grinder? I do almost everything with them.

Cheers

Fred W B

MikeRJ

posted on 20/4/06 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Probably not going to powder coat, unless it's cheaper than I think it is...

I have left the bottom of the box open to allow any water to drain out, and I will thoroughly waxoyl inside the box section to prevent rust. I have rubber boots for the rod ends, but am considering fitting some boots around the holes to limit water/dirt ingress which would make it much better than the book design in that respect.

I hace use the 1mm discs for a lot of stuff and they are excellent, but they are no good for making short/intricate cuts.

Marcus

posted on 20/4/06 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
How many washers are ypu going to lose down there when you're spacing rose joints?

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 20/4/06 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Going to turn up some solid spacers, can't be arsed fiddling with hand fulls of washers!

nick205

posted on 21/4/06 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
looks like a good bit of fabrication to me.

One question though - How will your panelling/bodywork fit around the extra width of the bracket? Or will it be concealed behind the rear arches?

Nick

MikeRJ

posted on 21/4/06 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Or will it be concealed behind the rear arches?

Nick

I hope so! I had a look through the archive at several builds before I made them, and it looks like the rear arches come down a fair bit in front of the suspension brackets.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.