Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear End
caber

posted on 1/5/06 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Rear End

I have managed to get my back axle together today, it is all tacked up but I thought I would ask for opinions before I weld it all up. The axle is set back about half an inch from book to accommodate the capri prop. I have done this making deep brackets out of 2" box. I also set up the Panhard rod. It is running at an angle across the back one end has a rose joint the other a standard lolocost bush and bracket. As it is at an angle I have set the bush tube at an angle so it is parallel to the chassis leg. Once I had started to weld it up I realised that the bracket has to be level and will need packing up from the sloping tube, see the last piccie in the archive. Finally I decided to weld a bolt to the axle bracket centered to the axle to pick up the Rose Joint is this sufficient or should I add some more bracketry for this? The photo archive has lots of detail shots plus shots of the engine mount and alternator bracket, any comments gratefully received!

Thanks

Caber Rescued attachment Photo_050106_001.jpg
Rescued attachment Photo_050106_001.jpg

Mark Allanson

posted on 1/5/06 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
You have virtually the same setup as me. I raised the panhard rod chassis pickup to make it parallel to the ground to prevent any lateral loads to the axle. Your trailing arms seem to be pointing upwards, perhaps the axle is a little high?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

TangoMan

posted on 1/5/06 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Panhard Rod attachment

Mine has a bolt fitment on the axle with no outer support (in single sheer) and has lasted 5000 miles to date.
I do plan to add a further bracket though to give extra support to the outer bolt end otherwise the bolt will be taking a bending load which can't be good.

Your photo isn't too clear but it looks like you have your coilovers mounted in single sheer also. I would think that with the loads these will take, it would be better to have the bolt supported at both ends.

It is looking good though.

MikeR

posted on 1/5/06 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Most cars have the rear suspension in single shear, LOADS of vans do (i seem to notice them all) and most IRS installs (Westfield springs to mind here)
TangoMan

posted on 1/5/06 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
That's interesting. I have never noticed.

Is this just shock absorber mountings or arms and springs.

Obviously the loads through shocks will be much less than the others.

rayward

posted on 2/5/06 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
very similar setup to mine.....

rear axle panhard rod
rear axle panhard rod

Ray

caber

posted on 2/5/06 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input folks. Mark the axle is hanging from the ratchet strap as I wanted to weld everything with the axle set with trailing arms horizontal the photo was taken with one coil over in pushing the far side down.

I wondered about the single shear however there are a lot of pictures in The Book and elsewhere showing this. I have my rose joint less than half an inch from the bracket and am considering making a bigger collar for it to bear against. The bolt is well and truely welded into the bracket, I cut one off and welded over the end to about one inch diameter and weldede around the bolt kneck the other side of the bracket, I don't want this to break off!

Caber

MikeR

posted on 2/5/06 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TangoMan
That's interesting. I have never noticed.

Is this just shock absorber mountings or arms and springs.

Obviously the loads through shocks will be much less than the others.

I'm just talking about the shocks.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.