Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rear uprights
t.j.

posted on 27/5/06 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
rear uprights

Let's hear from the experts!

This is how i want the make my rear uprights.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

mark chandler

posted on 27/5/06 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I cannot comment on the calculations on COG etc, hoever you do seem to have a flaw with the bones.

Your design has them as trapezium, this is not good, you really need an extra tube to triangulate from corner to corner.

By doing this (I assume your shock is mounting on the rear of the hub carrier) you can reduce the size of the tubes and save unsprung weight.

Regards Mark

MikeRJ

posted on 27/5/06 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
If you are going to use polybushes then my feeling would be that the two bushes at each end will be too close together, which won't provide much resistance to the upright twisting under load.
JoelP

posted on 27/5/06 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
myself, i would modify it like this. Firstly, id aim for just 3 arms, to make it easy to adjust rear toe and reduce the chance of binding if you get anything slightly inaccurate. I would choose two at the bottom, one at the top. For the bottom, i would use a pair of rosejoints on the outside of the outer two lugs, and remove the inner two lugs. I would then weld some 16g sheet round the radius of the remaining outer lugs, between them, to reduce the chance of them buckling (since i would unashamedly do the bolts in single shear ) For the top, the opposite, i would remove the outer two lugs, and put a rosejoint between the inner two, with spacers to fill it out.
Bob C

posted on 27/5/06 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
The 3D modelling software is great for this type of stuff - and it actually goes together when you make it!
Anyway FWIW I agree with JoelP, but I would worry about single shear (or use 14mm rosejoints :^) - I just wanted to say if you do widen the bottom take care that it still fits inside your wheels!!!!
I used mx5 uprights & they get round this problem by having the lower pivots higher up on the upright, which in turn means the chassis pivots have to be higher too.
Why is the shock bracket not welded on? - it all has rather a weighty look about it - how does weight compare with the tiger ones?
I can't see caliper fixings - you doing drums? now's the time to think about it!
All the best
Bob

t.j.

posted on 28/5/06 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
The 3D modelling software is great for this type of stuff - and it actually goes together when you make it!
Anyway FWIW I agree with JoelP, but I would worry about single shear (or use 14mm rosejoints :^) - I just wanted to say if you do widen the bottom take care that it still fits inside your wheels!!!!

I used mx5 uprights & they get round this problem by having the lower pivots higher up on the upright, which in turn means the chassis pivots have to be higher too.
Why is the shock bracket not welded on? - it all has rather a weighty look about it - how does weight compare with the tiger ones?
I can't see caliper fixings - you doing drums? now's the time to think about it!
All the best
Bob

I want to go first on drums. The tiger uprights cause turned back-plates so the handbrakecables aren't simitrycal left/right.
That's why...

The upper brackets inwards are lowered to get a better RC. The shock bracket isn't welded because the upper to you can reach the bolts M6 of the brakecilinder.

I wanted to use low inwards two rose-joints. As i'm knowing now it's nessary also inwards up.

The bushes i use come from a peugeot 205 lenght about 32 cm.

brackets
brackets

[Edited on 28/5/06 by t.j.]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.