Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Drive shaft nuts
paulmw

posted on 28/6/07 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Drive shaft nuts

Ive fitted the drive shafts and the carrier and hub. How do you tighten the 42mm nuts with out the diff spinning. (and popping off the hub bearing)

Also the steering column rubber moveable joint (were its fixed to the rack) fouls the chassis and wont turn?

novacaine

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
can you put the brakes on to stop the spinning, its the normal way if it is actually on a car

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

PeterW

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulmw
Ive fitted the drive shafts and the carrier and hub. How do you tighten the 42mm nuts with out the diff spinning. (and popping off the hub bearing)

Also the steering column rubber moveable joint (were its fixed to the rack) fouls the chassis and wont turn?

Paul

The Haynes book of lies describes the process. You should only nip them up with the vehicle off the ground, then when the wheels are on, and the vehicle is on the ground you should then do them up to 250lbft or whatever the figure is.

I've got the same problem at the moment..!

Cheers

Pete

smart51

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
I did mine (bolt on shafts) in a bench vice. I clamped the wheel carrier in the vice with 2 of the wheel studs bearing against the vice upper face.

I ripped my own bench apart loosening them so used a heavy steel workbench at work to do it. I also used a 2m long scaffold pole over the socket bar to get leverage.

edit:

If its on your car already, put the hand brake on tight and chock the wheels. Put it in gear too if that will help.

[Edited on 28-6-2007 by smart51]

James

posted on 28/6/07 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulmw

1st question.... put the car down on it's wheel and the tyre/brakes will do the hard work for you!

2nd question.... not sure. You got a picture? Would show us better where the problem lies.

HTH,
James

[Edited on 28/6/07 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

paulmw

posted on 28/6/07 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Hopefully 2 pics Rescued attachment PICT1558.JPG
Rescued attachment PICT1558.JPG

paulmw

posted on 28/6/07 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Oops bit big Rescued attachment PICT1559.JPG
Rescued attachment PICT1559.JPG

mike smith1

posted on 28/6/07 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
I tightend mine with the help of a long bar between two of the wheel studs (diagonaly) so it the hub did not turn.

Is one of the rack holes elongated so that there is some adjustment left to right??

Mike

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 28/6/07 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
you could angle grind off the nut carefully then buy new nut - which is advisable anyway.. just watch the thread when cutting off
worX

posted on 28/6/07 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
just tighten them lightly and mark them with some sort of indicator to you that will let you know they aren't done and then tighten them properly when all wheels are on and brakes can be applied.

Them not being tight won't affect the rest of your build Paul so don't worry about them.

Forgetting to tighten them later will affect your driving though, hence me saying to mark them in some way!

Cheers mate,
Steve.

martyn_16v

posted on 3/7/07 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
There was enough sideways play in my rack mountings that I could shift it over to get it to clear, but i've also seen one being built at MK that had the rubber bit cut down and the metal flanges on the column ground down a bit.

zxrlocost

posted on 3/7/07 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
you will find your a ford spare wheel has a big hole in it

so you can nip up drop the car on the floor and tighten up

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

paulmw

posted on 3/7/07 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Both problems now solved

1) Diff nuts - I bought a 41mm socket and a 1/2 inch to 3/4 adapter. Screwed in a piece of 8mm bar through the hub into the hub carrier and bingo. Also gave it a go with the impact wrench.

2) Steering rubber Angle - ground off a couple of mm

grusks2

posted on 16/7/08 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Bit of an old topic, but do ford still sell these drive shaft nuts ( for bolt on shafts )

Thanks Spence

http://mac1worxbuild.wordpress.com/

forgot my old password so another username doh

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.