Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel tank redesign
Mark Allanson

posted on 26/8/03 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel tank redesign

Giving my fuel tank some serious thought today, the book design (and all the derivatives) seems to waste about 6" between the tank and the axle. NOBODY seems to use this area so there must be a reason - buggered if I can see why not!

Please enlighten me

Mark

Stu16v

posted on 26/8/03 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
AFAIK there may *seem* like six inches between back axle and tank, but it probably to allow clearance for the panhard rod, and subsequent deflection when in use.

HTH Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

pbura

posted on 27/8/03 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
Speaking of fuel tanks, axles, and space use, a fellow sent me some Donkervoort photos, and I was impressed by the fuel tanks in the axle area, and the gigantic boot that results.

I don't know if they use a polybag or what. Very slick but looks like a, ahem, challenge for the home builder..

Pete Rescued attachment Fuel tank.jpg
Rescued attachment Fuel tank.jpg

Nick Davison

posted on 28/8/03 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at my photos for a big tank, about 12 gal.
Nick

Browser

posted on 28/8/03 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, that Donketvoort idea looks good, but I think they've got a similar chassis layout to one of the Tiger derivatives, with a flat area behind the seats and (now unlike the Tiger) a longer 'boot' than most sevens, which would allow them more space to play with. Still, interesting idea and one worth looking at methinks.
Like the big tank Nick, might have to look further at that option too when the time comes. Did I see that you are using Bedford Rascal/Midi van seats? This is the route I chose a while ago but am thinking otherwise now. How are you planning to get them reupholstered? I am going to look at doing them myself but if this looks too difficult/costly I will be scouring the scrappy for a leather upholstered back seat with a centre armrest from something or other and adapting this to fit.

Mark Allanson

posted on 28/8/03 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Stu, the panhard rod will only deflect vertically, so would not be a problem, the BIG reason why I have decieded against it is rear accident senario - I don't want the tank being damaged or ruptured by the rear axle in a minor (or major for that matter) rearender. If it is only 1" away from the axle, even the mildest of taps could be fatal
Stu16v

posted on 28/8/03 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Stu, the panhard rod will only deflect vertically, so would not be a problem,

True, but the front of most tanks I have seen come virtually to the edge of the chassis rail to which the panhard rod is mounted.

Some clearance for movement in the unfortunate event of an accident is a good idea though.....

steve m

posted on 29/8/03 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
A couple of view's from me
My original tank was built as per the book
and apart from a leak that i never managed to seal, the tank was to small, held about 5 gallons, so i bought a nice alloy one that looks nice and does not leak, but was about 5.5 gallons
so, dont put a small tank in as its a real pain, and filling the tank takes ages,as the filler does a 90% bend straight from the fuel filler
my next tank will be flatter, lower, to allow fo a bigger boot ,and go over the panard rod (allowing for travel!)
it will have a straight smooth inlet pipe not convoluted and have a breather to allow the air to escape during filling

Nick Davison

posted on 1/9/03 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Browser

I have used Rascal seats, or am using them. The drivers was a bit tight between the side of the car and the tunnel. I removed the reclining adjusters and locked the seat in position, the passengers was ok but the drivers caught on the chassis where the diff sits so I took off the cover and hit it hard so it would fit!!
The covering of them is now half way there and is not as hard as you might think. I bought a 3/4 hide from Newark show £34 cream jag hyde and am stitching them together with a cobblers machine (that is one used by a cobbler not a crap machine), it is a hand driven one from about 1950 and will go through 4 layers at once!
One seat is done and I will get a photo on the archive soon.
Interestingly if you take off the cover and padding from the Rascal seats the frame has a neat pointed headrest rather than the square one it started with.
Nick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.