Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: preliminary fitting of brake lines
robertst

posted on 29/7/07 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
preliminary fitting of brake lines

--Long topic--

finished almost all of the braking lines and wanted to know your opinion on the routing and location.

the lines are held with tie-wraps for now.

1) front brake circuit.
Description
Description

2) the master cylinders
Description
Description

3) beginnign of the rear brake circuit. i decided to cross over to the other side as the fuel and electricity lines go on the other side.
Description
Description

4) brake line in tunnel.
Description
Description

5) Flexible hose connection (note: not completed yet)
Description
Description

6) Rear junction on DeDion
Description
Description

7) DeDion tube to drum. should i wrap it more against the axle or is it ok like this?

Description
Description

how well/bad have i done it? is it acceptable? i dont know what to do with the brake pipe in picture 7, is it ok like that?

thanks a lot, any help appreciated

Tom

[Edited on 29/7/07 by robertst]

Tom

designer

posted on 29/7/07 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
In photo 1 can't the T be laid down as the upward loop is an area for an air-lock.

In photo 2 the right hand (in the picture) line should go to the firewall, be fixed on it and then down it to the chassis rail.

In photo 5 mount ti join horizontal, or at 45 degrees.

In photo 7 wrap it more against the casing.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
caber

posted on 29/7/07 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I have a couple of suggestions, Firswt your steering column seems to be running more or less straight. This is not very safe as if you have a head on collision it will come straight back and spear you through the chest! We have to put two angles in to pass SVA. It will almost certainly foul some part of the engine or engine mounts.

The brake lines are OK though I would not run the front one along the side of the engine rail, there is a big risk of flattening it as you drop the engine in! It should be OK on the top of the rail. I am also not certain if you have a bracket where the rear flexi joins the copper. This is needed to prevent the movement of the flexi causing the copper to fatigue with movement.

Good luck with the rest of the build!

Caber

cloudy

posted on 29/7/07 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
What do you mean by two angles? I just have the rubber UJ and then a quite steep angle, then a UJ then back to the wheel

James

[Edited on 29/7/07 by cloudy]

robertst

posted on 29/7/07 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber
I have a couple of suggestions, Firswt your steering column seems to be running more or less straight. This is not very safe as if you have a head on collision it will come straight back and spear you through the chest! We have to put two angles in to pass SVA. It will almost certainly foul some part of the engine or engine mounts.

The brake lines are OK though I would not run the front one along the side of the engine rail, there is a big risk of flattening it as you drop the engine in! It should be OK on the top of the rail. I am also not certain if you have a bracket where the rear flexi joins the copper. This is needed to prevent the movement of the flexi causing the copper to fatigue with movement.

Good luck with the rest of the build!

Caber

it must be an optical illusion because there is a different angle between the upper and lower steering columns, i had this in mind even before i made the mounts. might make the angle bigger, but there is certainly an offset there.

all copper to flexi joints will have their brackets and clips i just didnt fit them yet.

cheers for the remarks caber.

designer: about pic nș2, are you referring to the rear line or both? do you mean they go to the firewall, held horizontally with p-clips and then down?

thanks.

Tom

Macbeast

posted on 29/7/07 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder about the front brake lines running at low level. Would there be a danger of them being hit by road debris etc.? Would it be safer to run them along the top chassis rail ?

I don't know, but it's something I'll have to think about next week.

Macbeast

posted on 30/7/07 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Just noticed - " 3) beginnign of the rear brake circuit. i decided to cross over to the other side as the fuel and electricity lines go on the other side. " -

I thought fuel and electrics must not be run together ?

robertst

posted on 31/7/07 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Just noticed - " 3) beginnign of the rear brake circuit. i decided to cross over to the other side as the fuel and electricity lines go on the other side. " -

I thought fuel and electrics must not be run together ?

fuel line will go below brake line on the bottom left hand side of the tunnel

electricity will have the right hand side of the tunnel to itself.

Tom

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.