Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bottom ball joint.
joolsmi16

posted on 2/12/07 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
bottom ball joint.

Is there any suggestions on a suitable ball joint similar to the transit drag link so I can use on my bottom wishbone to be used with either the cortina/sierra uprights.

I recently looked at a DAX up close and they are using this setup but at the time didn't ask about the joint..

Thanks

Chippy

posted on 2/12/07 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, this is how I, and most others, have done it.

Start of the front suspension.
Start of the front suspension.

Hope that helps. Cheers Ray

joolsmi16

posted on 3/12/07 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
bottom joint

Aim familiar with both the cortina and maxi bottom ball joints however I looking for a drag link type joint I can use instead of the normal cortina/maxi joints on a bottom wishbone.
Mr Whippy

posted on 3/12/07 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
You could still use the transit balljoints on the bottom if you got some of these made up. Their normally used in VW beetles and called bump steer bushes. The original tapered hole is made straight and these inserts pushed in, you could get ones made up with the transits smaller hole instead. You could even fit a large rose joint rather than a balljoint, maybe that's what you saw on the DAX?

[Edited on 3/12/07 by Mr Whippy] Rescued attachment bump steer bush.jpg
Rescued attachment bump steer bush.jpg

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alex B

posted on 3/12/07 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Chippy ....you should put some mortar on those blocks......it could be sat like that longer than you think

Alex

Much work still remains to be done before I can announce my total failure to make any progress

MikeRJ

posted on 3/12/07 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
You could still use the transit balljoints on the bottom if you got some of these made up.

I suspect the issue is not getting them to physically fit, but the suitability of the joint to take the (considerable) forces that will be imposed on it when used on the lower wishbone. Don't forget that unlike the top wishbone, a lot of the suspension forces will be attempting to pull the ball out of it's socket!

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/12/07 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect that the thread would shear first since the ball is fitted from the back. Keeping in mine the weight of these cars I think the standard suspension is an over kill.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
You could still use the transit balljoints on the bottom if you got some of these made up.

I suspect the issue is not getting them to physically fit, but the suitability of the joint to take the (considerable) forces that will be imposed on it when used on the lower wishbone. Don't forget that unlike the top wishbone, a lot of the suspension forces will be attempting to pull the ball out of it's socket!

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 3/12/07 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you are running rocker arm front suspension (Similar to the Lotus 25/33) don't even think about it. This type of joint is not designed for spring loads never mind pull out spring loads.
t.j.

posted on 3/12/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I use the fiat 124 spider, like the tiger avon does:

Description
Description

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

quattromike

posted on 3/12/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using an audi bottom ball joint but having second thought about it taking the loading of the suspension coz they are from a macpherson strut. I'm using pushrod suspention at the front so mabey I could mount the pushrod straight on to the bolt that grips the ball joint in some how? hmmm, now you got me thinkin
Mike

cossie upright with audi balljoint straight fit
cossie upright with audi balljoint straight fit

"At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark"

Chippy

posted on 3/12/07 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
ALEX B

Picture is nearly four years old, done a few thousand miles since then, Ray

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.