Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which lightweight alloy on Tiger Cat E1?
black.viper

posted on 27/6/08 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Which lightweight alloy on Tiger Cat E1?

Hi, Im builder from Czech Republic (Tiger Cat E1 - donor Sierra ´93 EFI 2.0 Pinto, front disk brakes without ABS, rear drums) and now Im solving big problem which size of the wheel and type! After months on the net I choose this types and size:

13x7,5 Lenzo VPD
(Drag racing wheel) ET25 3,5kg weight but PCD 4x100 56mm center hole (Honda) for fantastic price $148 for each - weight with tyre 205/60 Yokohama A048 is aprox. 11,5kg (x4 on car=46kg)

15"x6,5 Rota Attack PCD 4x108 ET18 or 40 weight 4,5kg - price $100 for each - weight with tyre Toyo Proxes T1-R 205/50 is aprox. 12,5kg (x4 on car=50kg )

13"x6 Compomotive CXR 4x108 ET0-34 weight 5,4-4,9kg due ET - price £105 and weight with tyre 205/60 Yokohama A048 is aprox. 13kg (x4 on car=52-54kg )

I prefer 13" Lenzo - but PCD - and I dont want use reset spacer (from 4x108 on 4x100) due to axle geometry, extra weight, no so much room under rear arches... is another way?
Next choice is 15" Rota - without problem but more expensive truck day tyres and I prefer classic look by 13"...
And what about CXR - more expensive, heavy... Somewhere I discovered Revolutin 4 spoke Race wheel with 4,3kg weight 13" but I dont know where is possible buy this (and price?) Everywhere they are selling Revoluion R spoke (without Race name) which are very heavy - aprox. 5,6kg 13" price is £70!

So, could you help me! Please :-)

PS: Last question - is any problem fit 13" wheels on rear Sierra axle with drum brake and front with 256mm disks brake?

Thx for this helpfully forum - I solved lot of problems during building that I could read this topics here - And sorry for my english - Im teaching during build from Tiger Cat E1 manual

Petr

Im building Tiger Cat E1 Duratec engine

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/6/08 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
you know this is the one... Rescued attachment imagewrap.jpg
Rescued attachment imagewrap.jpg

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
black.viper

posted on 27/6/08 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
But how to fit Honda PCD 4x100 to 4x108 (Ford) without reset spacers?

Duncan_P

posted on 27/6/08 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
I really like the lenzo ones, but i think you might struggle to get them to fit as im assuming that you have ford stud patterns which have a PCD of 108 compared to the 100 for the wheels. Also the bore is different 63.4 compared to 56.1.

Its probably not insurmountable, but it would be a real pain in the $$$ getting them to fit.

Another option how about Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2's ? Lighter than the CXRs i believe

black.viper

posted on 27/6/08 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Is possible use this reset spacers (for price over £105)

but Sierra use ET 38 - Lenzo VPD have ET25 and reset spacers have 20mm - due to will be ET approx. 5 - and I dont have lot of room under rear mudgard, this will changes geometry front axle (no so good) and spacers (+other nuts) have extra weight... I must find another way.

black.viper

posted on 27/6/08 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
"Another option how about Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2's ? Lighter than the CXRs i believe"

I dont prefer Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2's wheels because there are so heavy:
7.0 x 14 from 5.7kg (12.5lbs)
7.0 x 15 from 6.9kgs (15.1lbs)
7.0 x 16 from 7.4kgs (16.2lbs)
7.0 x 17 from 7.9kgs (17.3lbs)
7.5 x 17 from 8.2kgs (18.0lbs)
8.0 x 17 from 9.0kgs (19.8lbs)
9.0 x 17 from 9.5kgs (20.9lbs)
8.0 x 18 from 9.0kgs (19.8lbs)
9.0 x 18 from 11.5kgs (24.2lbs)

Rota 15"x6,5 - 4,5kg, OZ Ultraleggera 15"x7 - 5,2kg - this does make sense in 15" setup.

I prefer use 13" very very light wheel ...and for reasonable price.

mr henderson

posted on 27/6/08 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by black.viper

The high profile tyres necessary (with the 13"'s) are heavier, though, aren't they?

John

black.viper

posted on 28/6/08 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:

The high profile tyres necessary (with the 13"'s) are heavier, though, aren't they?

John

Hi, John!
Yes, are definitely right... but I choose 205/60 R13 due this reasons:
1. Same dimension like original Sierra wheel R14
2. Due to clearance height - we have very bad roads in Czech republic
3. The highest profile tyres looks better

iank

posted on 28/6/08 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

John

When you add the wheel + tyre weight 13" are always going to be lighter than a 15" or 17" with the same design of wheel. The mass will also be closer to the center of rotation which helps.

Increase in weight for a high profile tyre compared to a low profile with the same tread diameter isn't that great as most of the weight is in the tread which is the same size, the sidewalls are obviously a bit more, but it's a smaller percentage of the overall weight.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mr henderson

posted on 28/6/08 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
quote:

John

When you add the wheel + tyre weight 13" are always going to be lighter than a 15" or 17" with the same design of wheel. The mass will also be closer to the center of rotation which helps.

Increase in weight for a high profile tyre compared to a low profile with the same tread diameter isn't that great as most of the weight is in the tread which is the same size, the sidewalls are obviously a bit more, but it's a smaller percentage of the overall weight.

It would be good if we could get some numbers on this question. I'm happy to accept that for a given rolling radius a big diameter wheel-low profile tyre is going to be a bit heavier that a smaller diameter wheel-high profile tyre, but what we need are some actual weights in order to assess whether losing the other benefits of low profile tyres (more room for brakes, and better grip to name just two) are worth it.

John

black.viper

posted on 28/6/08 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
... in my question on begin was that:
"is any problem fit 13" wheels on rear Sierra axle with drum brake and front with 256mm disks brake?"

Im asking becouse I dont have possibility try 13" wheels on my car before buying from some net shop.

Thx for reply

Petr

bigrich

posted on 28/6/08 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
13's will go over the front discs, but rear discs can be troublesome with certain types of rim. Compomotive CXR's are ok as are the new 13 inch pro race 1.2's.
I now have these on my car over wilwood 4 pots front and rear Rescued attachment newark 08.jpg
Rescued attachment newark 08.jpg

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

black.viper

posted on 29/6/08 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigrich
13's will go over the front discs, but rear discs can be troublesome with certain types of rim. Compomotive CXR's are ok as are the new 13 inch pro race 1.2's.
I now have these on my car over wilwood 4 pots front and rear

Thx for advice! Your car is very nice and wheels looks like perfect.

But I try found "new 13 inch pro race 1.2's" rims - and under this name are made only Team dynamics and they are made smallest rims 14" not 13" - pls, where did you bought it and if you know weight this rims - becouse 14" have 5,7kg and it is too much.

Pls, do you everybody know what is weight Catarham 13" rims (from them shop for £99)?

Or exist some light cheap 13" rims around £100 with weight under 5kg (better under 4,5kg) - except Superlite (this are over £180)?

bigrich

posted on 29/6/08 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
The wheels are available from Mac#1,

http://www.mac1motorsports.co.uk/index.php/Wheels-and-Tyres/Pro-Race-1.2-13-inch-Alloy-Wheels.html

All the details you may need should be here. They have only just been released over the last 2 weeks so may not be on the team dynamics site

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

black.viper

posted on 30/6/08 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigrich
The wheels are available from Mac#1,

http://www.mac1motorsports.co.uk/index.php/Wheels-and-Tyres/Pro-Race-1.2-13-inch-Alloy-Wheels.html

All the details you may need should be here. They have only just been released over the last 2 weeks so may not be on the team dynamics site

Thx for very usefull information - this nice and lightweight rims I give prority to 15" Rota rims.

Thx you one more - you solved my problem

Petr

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.