Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blonde moment with sierra bearing kit
nathanharris1987

posted on 15/8/08 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Blonde moment with sierra bearing kit

Could someone please remind me how the bearings go into the carriers?

sierra rear bearing kit xr4x4
sierra rear bearing kit xr4x4

Ive got the bearing pack, outer ring, and a seal with a blue flange sticking out one side of it. Two of these, quite obviously go one into either side of the carrier but in what order and which way round?

It’s a xr4x4 carrier & hub by the way.

Nath

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eznfrank

posted on 15/8/08 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
All three go into one side in the same order they're in now. You need to take out the old race bearing first (sometimes looks like it's actually part of the carrier but it aint), can take a bit of elbow grease and you have to be careful not to damage the carrier. I used a chisel in the groove between the two race bearings which worked ok for mine. Then slot in the new one (i used the old one to hammer it in) and then the bearing should sit in the concave bit and the oil seal finishes it off (again you may need to give it a tap using the old oil seal to seat it).

[Edited on 15/8/08 by eznfrank]

Peteff

posted on 15/8/08 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
LM grease is better than elbow grease for bearings Elbow grease supplier

LM grease

Knock the old race out with a pin punch on the bit of lip showing as above, you'll have to stand it on two blocks to give room underneath for it to drop out. Grind a bit off the circumference of the old one on the bench grinder and use it to tap the new one in, make sure it is seated as far in as it will go

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mark chandler

posted on 15/8/08 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Easy way to get old races out is to get the mig torch in then and put a couple of small beads on the old one. It will shrink when cooling and drop out.

Regards Mark

nstrug

posted on 15/8/08 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
I get them in by putting the new race in the freezer and the bearing carrier in the oven on medium heat.

The new races then go in really easily.

As you know, there is a bearing on either side of the carrier. Outer, ace goes in first with the constricted end of the race towards the centre of the carrier, then the bearing race then tap in the oil seal.

Nick

nathanharris1987

posted on 18/8/08 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
nice one,
cheers guys,

the freezer idea didnt work though i ended up forgetting about them then getting my tonge stuck on one when i remembered where they were!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.