Board logo

Changing to a Photo Licence
907 - 13/2/17 at 04:51 AM

My details:-

I am 61 and my licence runs from 1976 to 2025.
I have lived at this address since 1976.
I have a single green sheet of paper licence.
I am licensed to drive 1976 groups a, d, e.
I have no passport.

As I have no photo licence or passport I have no "accepted" form of I.D. and this year there are a couple of shows,
one at a USAF base and one at an RAF base that I would quite like to attend in the Suttol. Both will require I.D. and
the gates will be manned with blokes with machine guns.

Many years ago I faced police with machine guns in Southern Ireland and was stupid enough to reach into
my pocket for my smokes. Smoking CAN seriously damage your health.

The question is:-

If I apply for a photo card licence (@ £20) will it come back with entitlements missing ?

Not the end of the world if I lost, say the mini-bus but if I lost the right to tow ( over 3.5 MAM ) I would be pee'd off.

Anyone have knowledge or experience of this ?

Cheers
Paul G

chris - 13/2/17 at 07:11 AM

i would make a photo copy of your licence so if they do nick any ,thing off you you have some proof you were entitled to it in the first place any grandfather entitlements should be issued with your photo card

MikeR - 13/2/17 at 08:24 AM

definately photocopy the license - I'd even be tempted to ask for a replacement license first to prove you've got the entitlement then 'find' the lost license and decide to apply for the photo.

If photocopying the license id maybe even go so far to get someone reputable to sign that the photocopy is an exact match of your current license like you do with photos for a passport.

I'm 90% sure i lost some entitlements when i transferred to a photo license.

907 - 13/2/17 at 08:29 AM

^^^^^^^^

Good idea. Cheers

907 - 13/2/17 at 08:35 AM

A mate of mine lost entitlements; but that could have been because he was 70 and applied for the 3 year one,

(which is why I'm asking)

steve m - 13/2/17 at 08:43 AM

I could be wrong, but when I went to a photo licence 5 ish years ago, they could not give you a replacement license, as in the old paper one, however, I did not lose any of my rights, and all appears to be correct with the photo one, well, except the photo

I only changed, as we did go abroad, and hired cars, and again, I believe that the paper license is not sufficient as proof

steve

lsdweb - 13/2/17 at 09:06 AM

When I applied for my replacement licence a couple of years ago you were allowed to hang on to your existing licence if you were going on driver training, as the trainers would need to see your licence.

David Jenkins - 13/2/17 at 10:17 AM

I didn't lose any rights when I went over to a photo licence. However, my 70-year-old brother is really peeved because he's losing some of his shortly...

You should be fine, but copying your existing licence sounds like a good plan.

gremlin1234 - 13/2/17 at 10:23 AM

you would not loose any entitlement

if you look up your licence online it will tell you what you are able to drive

for a similar licence that I checked recently the results were

quote:

Description You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) carrying no more than 8 passengers and driver with trailer up to 750kg; trailer over 750kg if combined vehicle and trailer weight isn’t more than 3,500kg MAM; Vehicles between 3,500kg and 7,500kg carrying no more than 8 passengers and a driver with trailer up to 750kg; Vehicles between 3,500kg and 7,500kg carrying no more than 8 passengers and a driver with trailer over 750kg if combined vehicle and trailer weight isn’t more than 8,250; Vehicles with up to 16 passenger seats and a driver with trailer up to 750kg;
Automatic versions of the vehicles quoted above;
You can also drive vehicles in groups C, E, F, K, L and N below:
Any motor trike less than 410kg (500kg laden); Moped up to 50cc (max speed 50km/h); Agricultural tractor; Mowing machine or pedestrian-controlled vehicle; Electrically-propelled vehicle; Vehicles (exempt from duty) under section 7 (1) of the vehicle (excise) Act 1971

[Edited on 13/2/17 by gremlin1234]

bonzoronnie - 13/2/17 at 11:20 AM

I changed to a photo card licence last year
Got hacked of not being able to hire cars & vans with my paper licence.

I am 60, my new licence came with all of my entitlements correctly shown.

Just checked mine online & all information is correct.

Lucky I had just renewed my passport & was able to apply online using my passport photo held on file.

As others have said, keep a copy of your paper licence for peace of mind.
I am sure it will all go well for you.

ETA

You are worse than me Paul, at least my paper licence was a Pink one.

[Edited on 13/2/17 by bonzoronnie]

stevebubs - 13/2/17 at 11:33 AM

Same price and pretty much same process to get a replacement for one you've 'lost'...

https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-to-replace-a-driving-licence

907 - 13/2/17 at 01:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bonzoronnie

ETA

You are worse than me Paul, at least my paper licence was a Pink one.

Actually the green is a sort of faded brown and the black writing has become a mid grey.

The whole thing is criss crossed with darker brown stripes which is glue from what once was Sellotape.

There's also some faint blue ballpoint ink referring to an SP30 where I was caught on my Thunderace doing 61 in a 60.

theconrodkid - 13/2/17 at 01:33 PM

deffo make a copy of your paper jobbie,mine came back and they had changed my class 3 to a 2

coozer - 13/2/17 at 02:46 PM

I've had many dealings with them, changing from paper to card, then passing two tests in two years and all the complicated updates (auto bus) manual truck went very smoothly. As my job relies on it, and visa versa I have a licence check number I can call any time...

David Jenkins - 13/2/17 at 03:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 907

There's also some faint blue ballpoint ink referring to an SP30 where I was caught on my Thunderace doing 61 in a 60.

Obviously a hooligan...

bonzoronnie - 13/2/17 at 03:31 PM

As an afterthought.

Perhaps you are able to check out your licence details online ? ( DVLA licence check )

I would imagine your paper licence details are on the database.

Checked mine this morning.
Needed licence number, NI number & postcode.

If your details are on the database & correct, I guess there would be no reason as to why swapping for a photo card should go wrong.

907 - 13/2/17 at 03:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by 907

Obviously a hooligan...

That day was the most wound up I have ever been.

Firstly I was following a car and we were the only vehicles on that mile long straight road.
The two coppers were behind a bramble clump, so loads of pricks together. They aimed their hand held gun
at the car and must have seen my head above the roof. Waved the car through and stopped me.

To put a tin hat on it I went up the station to pay the £60 fine and they refused my credit card.
Said it could be counterfeit and they had no way of checking. I wouldn't pee on a copper now if he was on fire.

There David. Look what you made me do.

907 - 13/2/17 at 04:01 PM

quote:
As an afterthought.

Perhaps you are able to check out your licence details online ? ( DVLA licence check )

If your details are on the database & correct, I guess there would be no reason as to why swapping for a photo card should go wrong.

As fas as I understand there are dates when the groups changed.

Pre '76
'76 to '86 ( me )
'86 to 2013

A cat "A" group means something different at each stage.

i.e. I have '76 A licence so I can tow with a group B (an auto) with a MAM of OVER 3.5 tonnes.
My work (and everything) car is an old E Merc auto estate with a tow weight of 2.1 tonnes so that's a MAM of 4 ish tonnes
with a trailer and a family size car on.

I'll have a look and see if I exist on that database. Cheers

Slimy38 - 13/2/17 at 07:14 PM

There was a burst of changeovers that lost people their bike entitlements, even news stories about people being pulled over for being on a bike with no licence. This was very early on in the change though, hopefully their systems are better.

I'd still take a photocopy of the licence though.

bonzoronnie - 13/2/17 at 08:06 PM

I passed my test the year after you.
Yes they have changed the groups about a bit but I think all of my entitlements are covered in the new categories.

Here is a Copy & paste up of my details.

Worth a look to see if your entitlements should be the same.

Category C1E seems to be the most relevant ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Category : AMStart date: 12 Mar 2016End date: 19 Apr 2026
Image of category AM vehicle Hide information
Description

You can drive 2-wheel vehicles or 3-wheel vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 25km/h and not more than 45km/h. Light quadricycles with an unladen mass of not more than 350kg, not including the mass of the batteries in the case of electric vehicles, whose maximum speed is over 25km/h and not more than 45km/h

Category : AStart date: 19 Jan 2013End date: 19 Apr 2026 Restrictions applyImage of category A vehicle Hide information
Description

You can drive a motorcycle of a power exceeding 35kW or with a power to weight ratio exceeding 0.2kW per kg, or A motorcycle of a power not exceeding 35kW with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW per kg and derived from a vehicle of more than double its power. A motor tricycle with a power exceeding 15kW

Restriction codes

79(3) Restricted to tricycles
Category : B1Start date: 6 Oct 1977End date: 19 Apr 2026
Image of category B1 vehicle Hide information
Description

You can drive motor vehicles with 4 wheels up to 400kg unladen or 550kg if they’re designed for carrying goods

Category : BStart date: 6 Oct 1977End date: 19 Apr 2026
Image of category B vehicle Hide information
Description

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats and a driver (with a trailer up to 750kg). You can also tow heavier trailers if the total weight of vehicle and trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg MAM. Physically disabled drivers with provisional category B entitlement will also have provisional entitlement to ride category A1 or A motor tricycles. Able-bodied drivers can no longer ride motor tricycles with a provisional category B licence

Category : BEStart date: 6 Oct 1977End date: 19 Apr 2026
Image of category BE vehicle Hide information
Description

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats and a driver with a trailer weighing up to 3,500kg

Category : C1Start date: 6 Oct 1977End date: 19 Apr 2026
Image of category C1 vehicle Hide information
Description

You can drive vehicles weighing between 3,500 and 7,500kg (with a trailer up to 750kg), with no more than 8 passengers and a driver

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Category : C1EStart date: 6 Oct 1977End date: 19 Apr 2026 Restrictions applyImage of category C1E vehicle Hide information
Description

You can drive vehicles weighing between 3,500 and 7,500kg (with a trailer over 750kg), with no more than 8 passengers and a driver. The combined weight of both can’t exceed 12,000kg

Restriction codes

107 Not more than 8250kg
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Category : D1Start date: 6 Oct 1977End date: 19 Apr 2026 Restrictions applyImage of category D1 vehicle Hide information
Description

You can drive vehicles with no more than 16 passenger seats and a driver and with a maximum length not exceeding 8 metres with a trailer up to 750kg

Restriction codes

101 Not for hire or reward
Category : D1EStart date: 6 Oct 1977End date: 19 Apr 2026 Restrictions applyImage of category D1E vehicle Hide information
Description

You can drive vehicles with no more than 16 passenger seats and a driver and with a maximum length not exceeding 8 metres with a trailer over 750 kg, provided that the Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of the combination formed does not exceed 12,000kg

Restriction codes

101 Not for hire or reward
119 Weight limit does not apply
Category : FStart date: 6 Oct 1977End date: 19 Apr 2026
Image of category F vehicle Hide information
Description

You can drive an agricultural or forestry tractor

Category : KStart date: 6 Oct 1977End date: 19 Apr 2026
Hide information
Description

You can drive a mowing machine or vehicles controlled by someone on foot

Category : LStart date: 6 Oct 1977End date: 19 Apr 2026
Hide information
Description

You can drive an electrically-propelled vehicle

Category : NStart date: 6 Oct 1977End date: 19 Apr 2026
Hide information
Description

You can drive vehicles exempt from Vehicle Excise Duty

Category : PStart date: 6 Oct 1977End date: 19 Apr 2026
Image of category P vehicle Hide information
Description

You can drive motor vehicles with fewer than 4 wheels with a maximum design speed exceeding 45 kilometres per hour (km/h) but not exceeding 50km/h and which, if propelled by an internal combustion engine, has a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50cc

Category : QStart date: 12 Mar 2016End date: 19 Apr 2026
Hide information
Description

You can drive motor vehicles with fewer than 4 wheels which, if propelled by an internal combustion engine, has a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50cc and, if not equipped with pedals by means of which the vehicle is capable of being propelled, has a maximum design speed not exceeding 25km/h

tr7v8 - 13/2/17 at 08:54 PM

quote:
Got hacked of not being able to hire cars & vans with my paper licence.

I am 60 this year & my green licence is 8 bits held together with sellotape. I have had no issues hiring cars with it & I travel all over the world. Admittedly hiring from mainstream companies.

gremlin1234 - 13/2/17 at 09:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tr7v8

I am 60 this year & my green licence is 8 bits held together with sellotape. I have had no issues hiring cars with it & I travel all over the world. Admittedly hiring from mainstream companies.

do they also look at your passport, or check the online details?

Oddified - 13/2/17 at 11:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by tr7v8

do they also look at your passport, or check the online details?

Same here, no problem hiring cars around the world and i only have the old green paper licence.

Ian

907 - 14/2/17 at 03:29 AM

quote:
As an afterthought.

Did this and all seems to be as it should. SP30 has even disappeared.

I've also fished out my DSLR so I can take a million billion pixel photo and then reduce it down so I'm unrecognisable.
Currently on charge.

Cheers for all the replies BTW