Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Harnesses - Recommendations for cheap 4 point SVA friendly?
craig1410

posted on 1/2/04 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Harnesses - Recommendations for cheap 4 point SVA friendly?

Hi,
I'm looking for a pair of good value 4 point harnesses for use with Cobra Roadster 7 seats. They must be SVA friendly which I think means they need to have an "e" mark and I think they must also have a push button release for the same reason. My budget is tight just now, as I'm hoping to complete the car before the end of the summer, so I want good value (ie. Cheap!) ones to begin with. I may upgrade them later to a nicer set.

Ideally I want 75mm webbing but this may be too expensive.

Any recommendations?
Cheers,
Craig.

Mk-Ninja

posted on 1/2/04 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Keep your eye open on Ebay. I got a pair of Willans for about half price.

Gordon

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

greggors84

posted on 1/2/04 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
How much is cheap, managed to get a set of black Luke harnesses for £100 inc Vat and delivery. Which was a little bit less than Sabelts or similar, but prefered the look of the Lukes

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

craig1410

posted on 1/2/04 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Is that for a pair of harnesses or just one seat's worth?

I'd spend up to £100 if that included vat and delivery for a pair of harnesses. I have seen some for as low as £29 each side plus vat and delivery.

Does anyone know for sure what the story is on the push button versus turnbuckle release mechanism's for SVA? Also, does it have to be bolted mounts or are eye bolts and spring catches okay?

Cheers,
Craig.

Peteff

posted on 1/2/04 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
If it can be released single handed and is of the correct size it should be o.k. Eyebolts or bolt ons are acceptable but there has been concern over the grade of eyebolt used. If they are supplied with the belt they should comply or you may need to supply proof.

yours, Pete

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

TPG

posted on 1/2/04 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Criag.I not sure if the spring/eye type are sva ok.I bolted mine in(8.8's & nyloks).Make sure you can prove that the belts can be "removed non destructivly"(?)by one person.I nearly failed on mine because the lower mounts on the transmisson weren't captive.But I pionted out to the tester that the top of the trans tunnel is removeable on mine.Sorted.
I paid 90quid for E marked 4 pionts(pair).Could of saved a tenner,may be a bit more at the shows.I think the 29 quid ones won't be E marked.

[Edited on 1/2/04 by TPG]

Viper

posted on 1/2/04 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
I find it totaly amazing that people ask about cheap harnesses (and crashhats for that matter). Think about it, this is one major item that could oneday save your life. Allways buy the best you can afford, your kids might thank you for it one day...
Tim.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 1/2/04 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Viper,
I hear what you are saying which is why I used the term "good value" to begin with. Surely no matter what type of 4 point harnesses I go for I will be better off than someone with a lap and diagonal! Ideally I want a nice set of 75mm harnesses with turnbuckle fastening but I don't want to buy them and then find that they aren't SVA friendly. I have read the bit about using a single hand (so to speak...) but it's the bit about moving in a single direction which worries me. Is circular motion a single direction? I doubt it.

Besides, with all due respect Viper, I don't think you are in a position to talk about safety with no roll bar and using seats with no head restraint. Using seats with no head restraint is particularly dangerous if you have 3 or 4 point harnesses as it could cause a larger whiplash on the neck in the event of a collision. All IMHO of course...

Anyway, as I said, I am keen to complete the car before the end of the summer so I need to avoid overspending in any one area at the expense of another. I need to position my harness mountings though hence I want to buy a harness to trial fit.

TPG,
I have already bought some high tensile 7/16UNF nuts which I will weld to the bacl of the mounts before the mounts are welded to the chassis. Thanks for the warning though.

Cheers,
Craig.

craig1410

posted on 1/2/04 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Guys,
I just came across this on another website:

quote:

There are two methods of fitting a harness to the car.

One method is bolting the eyelet holes of the harness directly to a seat-belt mounting using a simple bolt, nut and washer.

Another solution is screwing eyelet bolts in to the seat-belt mountings and using specially designed clips on the harness to clip through the eyelet. The advantage of the clip style harness is that it can be more easily removed or changed for another, the disadvantage is that it is not legal for road use because the law requires a seat belt to be permanently fitted.

Make sure you know which type of harness (fixed or clip) you are buying so you don’t get caught out at MOT time, however, if you keep your existing inertia belts then you could use the clip style harness legally. It is worth noting that eyelet type bolts can be used as normal bolts, you’ll just have the metal loop protruding.

I should have mentioned that I also want the harness I buy to have pull down tensioners over the chest. This may rule out some of the cheaper (sorry better value) harnesses.

bob

posted on 2/2/04 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
theres normally a couple of guys at the shows selling the Sabelt harnesses,i got mine at donington a couple of years back for £80 the pair.
Prices havnt moved on much and you can still i think get the same deal,or as near as dam it. Rescued attachment P1270006.jpg
Rescued attachment P1270006.jpg

craig1410

posted on 2/2/04 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Bob, those look just the job. They're even in my preferred colour! If any suppliers out there are listening and can do these at that sort of price then please let me know.
Cheers,
Craig.

Viper

posted on 2/2/04 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
Craig.
Before you start shouting about the saftey of my car you should realy get your facts right, firstly me seats have head restraints (Richfield RX777) and my hoop is as per msa spec for a rear hoop bent for me by a well respected rolll cage manufacturer. I assume your criticism is based on my pictures, for your information the car is far from finished which if you gave more than just a cursory glance you would see for yourself........

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 3/2/04 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Viper,

quote:
Originally posted by Viper
if you gave more than just a cursory glance you would see for yourself........

Now we both know how ite feels to have our attitude to safety criticised based on assumptions and superficial evidence!

I don't want to fall out with you but I was a bit annoyed at your comments about my quest for harness recommendations. I have 3 young kids and take safety very seriously as you would see if you saw me working in my garage, fully togged up in safety clothing and with a fire extinguisher within arms reach at all times (not kidding!)

We are building "Locost's" (most of us anyway) and the Locost way to fit seats and seat belts is an old bench seat and a lap and diag from an old car. Fine for those who have done just this but I wanted a bit more safety and thus spent nearly £350 getting Cobra Roadster 7 seats and intend to spend around £100 for a pair of good value (Locost) harnesses. The word "cheap" shouldn't really have come into it but it seems that everyone except you knew what I meant by this anyway hence the other constructive suggestions.

In any event, I think that spending £450 on a pair of good seats and harnesses isn't "cheap" and shows good attitude to safety. I'm glad that you have fitted a rollbar and head restraint and I apologise for suggesting that your car was unsafe. As I said, I was a bit annoyed at the time...

'nuff said!
All the best,
Craig.

Viper

posted on 3/2/04 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
Craig.
Willians do a 4 point with reverse adjusters on the lap straps, helpfull when space is tight, but only 50mm straps.£60 ish.
Best shouldr lap adjusters goes to the lightweight sparco on the pro racer series. expensive but bloody comfy, my personel choice is schroth racing, £130 ish each but top quality..
Tim...

craig1410

posted on 4/2/04 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Tim,
Yes there are loads of very nice harnesses out there. I've been quoted £48 each (inc vat) for both Momo and Sparco harnesses with push button release so I might look into that a bit farther. I like the Willans stuff as it looks good but is also good value.

Decisions decisions...
Cheers,
Craig.

jacko

posted on 5/2/04 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Craig
try MAC1 sabelt 80pound a pair try
there web site

jacko

bob

posted on 6/2/04 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Yep same as mine and same price as 2 years back,not seen em for less.

bob

posted on 6/2/04 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Yep same as mine and same price as 2 years back,not seen em for less.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.