Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Seatbelt angle
ste

posted on 7/2/17 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
Seatbelt angle

I've been reading through the IVA manual and struggling to see if this will fail with my current seat height.

Here's some pics, any advice would be grateful

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

I could raise the seat slightly, but from what i've read, the belts can't touch the seat as they pass through the slots, The slots are small (intatrim ODYSSEY II)

Help!

[Edited on 7/2/17 by ste]

Charlie C

posted on 7/2/17 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Morning

I've got a set up very similar to yours with the same seats and harness but the harness fixing is external to the cross bar.
The car passed the IVA test last month, the tester only appeared to be interested in the bolt type (8.8 grade) and sharp edges not the angle.

ste

posted on 7/2/17 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Ah that's good news. I best get it finished then.
theduck

posted on 7/2/17 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Your anchorage height is what they will be concerned with and that looks fine. Personally for IVA I would not run harness through the holes in the seats, that way they can't claim the seat is the effective anchorage point.
sdh2903

posted on 7/2/17 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
This is one of those things that will depend on the tester. I've heard of people failing due to the harness angle as it passes through the seat. If it touches the seat then it effectively makes the seat part of the anchor. There have been a few westfield's picked up on this using the sport turbo seats which is a similar ish seat to the intatrim. However the westfield seat is homogelated so they have been able to provide strength details to prove it's strong enough to take the impact.

However as above, on my last iva the tester never even gave the angle a second glance. Checked the sharp edges and the bolts were all hi tensile.

JeffHs

posted on 7/2/17 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
It looks to me that your top mount may be too low. Check carefully using the diagram in the SVA manual marked as Annex 4 that you comply with this
'On a harness or three point belt, check that the
height of the effective upper anchorage
position (measured vertically above the
reference point as described in Annex 4) is
450mm or more.'
The reference point referred to above is taken from the front corner of a rectangular block sitting on the seat squab and against the back rest. The block is 135mm by 53mm high

Can't work out how to copy the diagram from the SVA pdf or I would include it.

I failed SVA on this and had to raise the mounts on my book chassis with no roll cage by 50 mm.

melly-g

posted on 7/2/17 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Couldn't you mount the belts to the top of the bar and over the seats rather than through them,just for the test!

Or would the belt be tight to the seat then?

Angel Acevedo

posted on 8/2/17 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JeffHs
It looks to me that your top mount may be too low. ...
I failed SVA on this and had to raise the mounts on my book chassis with no roll cage by 50 mm.

+1
The problem with such a low upper anchorage point is that in a frontal collision, the seatbelts act to compress your spine which may result in severe injuries...
Best to heed Safety Belt Manufacturers instructions.
If you don´t have a leaflet, I can dig in my stuff to seek mine and scan it for you.
But I´m sure someone here can too..
HTH.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MBR

posted on 8/2/17 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
It seems from the pictures that the seat is too small unfortunately, which is a shame. This results in the slots for the seat belts (and the headrest for that matter) being too low. It might be worth investing in a couple of taller seats and then mounting the seat belts above the transverse support tube rather than below it.
big-vee-twin

posted on 15/2/17 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Mine failed at IVA for that arrangement, trouble is I knew that but forgot to do anything about it. Tester wanted belts to be horizontal off my shoulder and not touch the seats. I had some stainless spacers made up.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

jeffw

posted on 17/2/17 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
Purely on a safety grounds the mounting points are too low. You need to raise them up so they are just level or just under the tops of your shoulders. If you leave them like they are the belts will not work correctly in the event of an impact.

The seats also don't fit you correctly and your rollbar will not protect your head in the event of a roll over.

Ianboom

posted on 17/4/17 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
It's frustrating that different test centres interpret the regulations in different ways.
If they were written clearly, it wouldn't and shouldn't be an issue!
I have Intatrim seats on a Westfield-the harness eye bolts are about an inch higher than the top of the grommet.
Will they pass the IVA in a few weeks!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.