Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carbon fibre sheet
ChrisW

posted on 20/10/03 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Carbon fibre sheet

As above... how much is it and where from? Wondering about doing my interior panels in it purely as a 'look nice' but depends on price!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 20/10/03 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Mega bucks!

Got infor from a company selling it a Stafford this year

80cm x 122cm 0.46mm thick + £134 +vat!

80cm x 122cm 1.2mm thick £227 + vat

has that made your mind up for you?

ATB
Locoboy

ChrisW

posted on 20/10/03 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm.. yeah I think it has!! What about carbon effect plastic??

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dozracing

posted on 20/10/03 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

Carbon is around £20 per square metre and its 0.23 mm thick per ply. So 0.46mm thick is only 2 plies of carbon fibre and should therefore cost £40 per square metre plus a little extra for the labour and autoclave/oven curing overhead.

I'm trying to gear up to take a few samples of carbon sheet and carbon angle for making brackets from, to a show. I'll also be applying what i believe to be more realistic pricing to the job as well. So you'll get more for less money if you like.

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

dozracing

posted on 20/10/03 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Carbon effect plastic looks ok from a distance and is an option. Up close its pretty obviously not carbon, but, its considerably cheaper. I'm buying some mirror sheet soon and the suppliers do carbon effect plasttic as well if you are interested in finding out the costs.

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

ChrisW

posted on 20/10/03 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Darren

Can you make up an 'all in one' transmission tunnel panel if I made a mould? What about an all in one 'tub' for the passenger compartment? How much??

Chris

My gaff my rules

spy

posted on 20/10/03 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Try www.plays-kool.co.uk. These guys are very well respected among the westfield posse. Their CF isn't too expensive IIRC.

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
As above... how much is it and where from? Wondering about doing my interior panels in it purely as a 'look nice' but depends on price!

Chris

ChrisW

posted on 20/10/03 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
£650 for a panel set? I call that pretty pricey!! A quick measurement looks like 4m square would do it - by GTS' prices that's about £80.

Darren - have emailled you re the above post

Chris

[Edited on 20/10/03 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

spy

posted on 21/10/03 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm... I've only just seen the prices on the pdf download. Not that cheap after all.

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
£650 for a panel set? I call that pretty pricey!!
Chris

[Edited on 20/10/03 by ChrisW]

Rob Lane

posted on 22/10/03 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Paul at Playskool had his Westie interior ali panels anodized in Gold.

Looks absolutely brilliant and didn't cost much I believe.

One thing to remember though is that a small tunnel side panel will shrink by 1/2mm (half) when anodized.

They do a range of colours, purple is nice.

I used to do some anodizing myself but getting the acid is now very difficult plus it's a dangerous operation.

Look in Yellow Pages under 'Platers' for enquiries.

[Edited on 22/10/03 by Rob Lane]

Surrey Dave

posted on 22/10/03 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Anodised Ally

I believe that Alcan offered anodised sheets for sale when I built mine, was tempted to have Gold side panels ,but thought they would look grim if scratched.......
RichyMkIndy

posted on 16/11/03 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
get the real carbon dash from MK for £30 hehe
or the one from Mac one which is a full centre console job for £70

Hellfire

posted on 28/11/03 at 01:08 AM Reply With Quote
Just browsing around Haflords during the week and noticed some Carbon-fibre sticky. Must be honest - it looked good and was available in a number of colours blue/black/yellow/red. It was manufactured by the same company that does the HT Caliper 2 pack paint stuff, thingy, whats-it! It was quite pricey but I guess you could buy it for probably half that if you searched hard enough!

andkilde

posted on 18/12/03 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen dashboards done in thin Phenolic sheet -- is available in a few different colors (most common is G10, sort of a glossy brown with fiber showing -- I've also seen translucent black and green as used for circuit boards).

Quite inexpensive, any local industrial plastics supplier should have some in stock to look at.

Cheers, Ted

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.