Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Buttons on Wheel
irvined

posted on 19/1/10 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Buttons on Wheel

I want to have buttons for a few control functions within easy reach, ideally these would be on the steering wheel. For example:

Indicators
Horn
Flash/Main Beam
Squirt Windscreen

Putting them on the wheel I'snt going to do me any favours for IVA, however my idea is to mount them behind the wheel (Statically) so that when the wheel is straight ahead they will be within easy reach of my thumb.

Plan is to use momentary on, very round push buttons.

Has anybody done anything similar and got through I/SVA?

If so, got any pictures?

http://irvined.blogspot.com

tegwin

posted on 19/1/10 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Yes... every manufacturere does almost exactly that when they fit the plastic stalks with buttons on....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

RickRick

posted on 19/1/10 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
i got a really cheap indicator/flash/horn stalk from cbs used that for sva, ditched it and have most of my switches mounted on my paddels still in easy reach without the nightmare of getting the cable to the wheel
blakep82

posted on 19/1/10 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
^ lol, yep, won't be a problem at all.
you're proposing to put the buttons within easy reach. what could the problem possibly be?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

tomprescott

posted on 19/1/10 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I believe there is also an exclusion area around the wheel for projections, so you should be able to put them on the wheel itself should you so wish! Just from memory though so check the iva manual beforehand!

How about mounted on static wings (kind of like the flappy paddle gear change but don't move)?

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/1/10 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
How about using a mobile phone…

What you do is use a handfree kit and a phone that will dial up someone when you say their name, like “screen wash” or “switch on lights”

Then on the screen wash bottle etc you have another phone with the ring speaker linked to a relay that triggers the motor and like wise for the horn or light dip

That way just like on Knight Rider you too can talk to your car o:

you could even leave a message on each phone thats says for example - "Your lights are now on, have a nice day"

[Edited on 19/1/10 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddie99

posted on 19/1/10 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
How about using a mobile phone…

What you do is use a handfree kit and a phone that will dial up someone when you say there name, like “screen wash” or “switch on lights”

Then on the screen wash bottle etc you have another phone with the ring speaker linked to a relay that triggers the motor and like wise for the horn or light dip

That way just like on Knight Rider you too can talk to your car o:

you could even leave a message on each phone thats says for example - "Your lights are now on, have a nice day"

[Edited on 19/1/10 by Mr Whippy]

Pure Excellence... So tempting to try ha

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mad4x4

posted on 19/1/10 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
^^ Could cause problems

No No honest officer I was't using my mobile phone I was trying to tell my windscreen to clear while indicating right....

ROFL

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

eddie99

posted on 19/1/10 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hahahaha yeah i see the problem there!!!
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
blakep82

posted on 19/1/10 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
ha ha and you know one of your mates will get hold of the phone numbers eventually

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Gergely

posted on 19/1/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Here is what we have done. A piece of ali cut to shape and buttons fitted, with rubber "L" shaped covers on the back of it.
They control the indicators through a home-made electronic controller.

Absolutely great to use. Wonder why no manufacturers do it in normal cars...

After the rain
After the rain

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.