Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: scuttle side screen ideas please
jabbahutt

posted on 28/9/10 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
scuttle side screen ideas please

Afternoon all

Thought i'd pick the collective brain on this as I'm stumped for an easy to implement solution

[img] AEROSCREEN EXTENSION PROBLEM
AEROSCREEN EXTENSION PROBLEM
[/img]

What I'd like to do is two things:
1) create an extra piece of aeroscreen to extend it further back(drawn badly in red)
2) create a hinge area for a set of side doors which will make creating the doors easier as the scuttle at present angles away in all three plains making attaching doors a nightmare.

Here's the crunch. As I have no idea as to whether the extended screen and door idea will work properly or look half decent I don't want to attach them by drilling extra holes. I'd like the solution to be able to be attached only using methods that use existing holes etc.

Apologies if this whole idea isn't clear but in short the front of the door at present will have to be shaped in three dimension and I don't have the skill so I need to make something that will allow the hinges to be squarer to the door and I thought at the same time do the same with the front part of the aeroscreen for ease for that part doesn't need to move when the side screen opens.

Any ideas or thoughts most welcome.

Cheers
Nigel

stevebubs

posted on 28/9/10 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
why not have it as a drop down hinged from the chassis rail? If you do it like that, you could hold it in with leather straps or somesuch...
jabbahutt

posted on 28/9/10 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Steve how do you mean? If you mean that the door hinges down along the length of the rail outwards wouldn't that make it more difficult to get in and out?

If you mean something else could you elaborate please

Keep them ideas coming. the main problem is the Indy scuttle angles in all three deimensions meaning making anything is more difficult especially for someone challenged like me

YQUSTA

posted on 28/9/10 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
If the door followed the line of the scuttle with 2 hindges attached between the scuttle and dash that would work I would have thought.

If you made the door slightly oversized it wouldn't have to follow the line of the scuttle perfectly.

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

Humbug

posted on 28/9/10 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I did something like this when I had what looks like the same screen as you. Look in my photo archive

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=2007-01-14%2011%20ST%20Sidescreen%20full%20on.JPG

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=2007-01-14%20ST%20Sidescreen%20views.JPG

TBH I found that because I made the ali bits angled to give elbow room the tops of the windows came in quite a lot at the top and caused buffeting over the top but if you made them more upright that probably wouldn't be so much of an issue

trialsman

posted on 28/9/10 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Humbug are your doors hinged? If so where? I like them. I just got to figure out how to get the window back to a straight line to fit under the hood ( bikini roof). Russ
jabbahutt

posted on 29/9/10 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Humbug

You kindly supplied me photos of your doors a while back it's been that style of door I've been trying to implement. Problem is the angles on the Indy scuttle are more severe than yours appear to be. If I followed your design then the top of the window would be where my head should the angle is that different as I tried making a mock up using hardboard.

I thought I'd try and make a small piece at the front to transfer front the angles of the scuttle to upright then mount the doors of that.

It's this piece that I'm scratching my head over

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.