Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CAD Seats - Opinions?
Stuart Walker

posted on 14/9/04 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
CAD Seats - Opinions?

I've designed some seats on ProDesktop tonight, what does anyone think of them? Which of design 1 and 2 are best, or both crap?

Bear in mind that I didn't measure anything, so the dimensions may be a little bit out, ie. they're a little narrow!

Stu

Design 1: Steel Frame with Aluminium panels and thin padding.
seats
seats

Design 2: Steel Frame, Aluminium Panels and shaped padding
Seat Close Up
Seat Close Up

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Viper

posted on 14/9/04 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
Would yoi like? Rescued attachment ali_seat.jpg
Rescued attachment ali_seat.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stuart Walker

posted on 14/9/04 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Do you make these or just got one for sale?

I'd be interested in a price for a pair if you make them... any pictures of them in a car? also what size are they?

Cheers

[Edited on 14/9/04 by Stuart Walker]

Viper

posted on 14/9/04 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have a pair that i made a while ago, i will run a tape over them for you, if memory serves they are 400mm across the bottom.
Tim

NS Dev

posted on 19/9/04 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
sorry but none of those will be at all comfortable. You need a dropped pan where your bum goes on the seat, which then rises under your thighs. If you look at the kirkey seats they have something like this and my home made seats did too. A flat bottomed seat does not work. A flat backed seat is ok, you can just use a small lumbar cushion (from Demon Tweeks?) to give a bit of curvature to your back.
derf

posted on 20/9/04 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking that the bars on the sides would be uncomfortable, let alone what they could do to your ribs in a side impact or a nasty bump in the road.
MK9R

posted on 4/10/04 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
mine:-

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Browser

posted on 8/11/04 at 12:30 AM Reply With Quote
MK9R, whered'you get those? Are they self made or shop bought jobbies?
MK9R

posted on 8/11/04 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
self designed and made

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Browser

posted on 8/11/04 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
If you feel like makin any more, 'ow much per copy would you be lookin' for?

MK9R

posted on 9/11/04 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Rorty,

You did send me a pattern, but after i had made a mock up and also turned it into a 3D Cad model i changed quite considerably (note the extra bends in the back rest). I don't think any part stayed the same, but it gave me the basis on which to start my customised design

[Edited on 9/11/04 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

posted on 26/11/04 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Rorty asked me to remove the drawing of the seat.
I made the drawing using the pattern he posted in this thread with autocad.
It's basically his drawing so...sorry guys.

Rorty

posted on 27/11/04 at 03:48 AM Reply With Quote
Originally posted on 9/11/04 at 05:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
self designed and made

I seem to remember Austin, you sent me your dimensions and I designed your seat.
It looks well though!
For anyone else that wants a custom seat designed, I can make paterns like MK9R's to your dimensions for a small consideration.
Aluminium is the best material and there are a few excellent welders on this forum (such as Viper) who may be able to do the folding and welding.

I had to delet this post and re-submit it, as it was the only way I could remove the image to protect copyright and prevent piracy.
My own fault.
Appologies for disrupting the flow of the thread.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

posted on 27/11/04 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
It was not my intention to cause any harm to the copyright of Rorty.
I just made a quick autocad drawing of the information Rorty submitted in this thread and posted it as i thought it could be helpfull to other people.
This was obviously wrong and i apologize for it.
I myself suggested to Rorty to delete the post with his (distorted) drawing of the seat as it was fairly easy to make a usefull pattern with the provided information.
It never came accros my mind to ask any money for the drawing i posted nor did i suggest something in that manner.
I clearly stated that the pattern was for a Rorty seat on top of the drawing so using the term "piracy" for what i did makes me a criminal.

If somebody needs help with a pattern for a seat let me know cause it's realy not rocketscience.

Rorty

posted on 27/11/04 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
People are obviously free to post whatever they want, but I take exception to others putting their design up on the web and claiming that it's a Rorty design. I have a business and reputation to maintain.

quote:
Originally posted by Cita
... it's realy not rocketscience.

It's very simple indeed. You don't even need CAD to make the pattern.
But let's not make this a war.

I have a basic seat pattern which is free to anyone who wants it. Just email me for a copy.

[Edited on 13/1/05 by Rorty]

Cheers, Rorty.

86barettaguy

posted on 10/1/05 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I like your seats guys. Nice work. But a few questions:

1. What material would you use for the seat (well, aluminium obviously, but what thickness in order to get a rigid seat)?

2. How did you go about actually making them? Did you just cut and bend or did you weld them?

3. Couldn't the leg support of the chair be formed with whatever you decide to stuff your seat with? It's just that it seems like an easier way of doing it...

4. How much did you guys spend making your seats?

*edit: "chairs" just isn't the right word, is it? stupid mistake, I know.

[Edited on 10/1/05 by 86barettaguy]

NS Dev

posted on 13/1/05 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
The leg support is the most important part of the seat in my opinion.

Having made and then tested my own seat in an offroad racer (so very bumpy!) I can say that you shouldn't make this bit with padding, it needs to be an integral strong part of the seat. Made correctly to fit an individual, padding should be largely unnecessary, other than maybe a pad in the small of the back for a bit more lumbar support, which is tricky to make in ally/steel and also will quickly bruise the bone of the spine as there is little muscle in this area to take the load.

Dale

posted on 13/1/05 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Re the leg support- I have been trying to lay out seating for my build-- I am 6'4" and even though I have extended the cockpit a bit I am going to have to have a certain amount of bend in my knees to have the pedals in a reasonable spot. I am wondering what angle you have for the leg suport as a norm and how far you extend the suport--to near the knee or not that far-- also trying to make the seat usable for my wife who is 12 inches shorter than me.
Dale

Rorty

posted on 13/1/05 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
The front edge of the seat base should be around 100mm behind the knees.

Cheers, Rorty.

Bananaman

posted on 17/1/05 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
If you are looking for aluminium race seats, have a look at the following link. They sell genuine Kirkey seats. I can say from personal experience that they are the mutts nuts. In fact I have just bought one for my F2 Stock Car.

www.randallmotorsport.co.uk/

Cheers
Michael

NS Dev

posted on 24/1/05 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
will agree with that, most of my fellow autograssers use Kirkey seats, and they are superb............and if you look, they have a very nice thight support section, missing from a lot of "other" ally seats.

This support section is what makes the seat work. My steel grasser seat uses this principle. (yes, I know, steel, but I don't have an AC TIG set, and the seat is tiny anyway, as the upper backrest is formed from the chassis bulkhead!)

Lotusmark2

posted on 6/3/05 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to bring back an old thread but is anyone out there able to design and construct a small inexpensive simple seat for my single seater project?
Something like the one in this picture
Cheers
Mark

[Edited on 6/3/05 by Lotusmark2]

NS Dev

posted on 7/3/05 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
That is very similar to my steel autograsser's seat in terms of size etc, though mine is slightly more complex.

You need to design it around you, if you are going to be driving. I Can give you dimensions etc of my seat but it won't fit you!

If you have access to a mig welder and a jigsaw then it's really not difficult to make one yourself. Just mock it up from cardboard and wood etc until the bit under your thighs is about right, then measure it and copy it in steel (or ally if you can find somebody to weld it for you. I covered the edges of the steel on mine with edging strip like Woolies' "titanfast", or you can weld 5mm/6mm wire around the edge.

[Edited on 7/3/05 by NS Dev]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.