Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Finishing Touches
C.D.M.

posted on 27/2/16 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Finishing Touches

Hello gents,

First time posting in here; I've been drawn to the ludicrous world of the kit car after experiencing a friend's R1 powered MNR Vortx!

Naturally I want to empty my wallet for a Seven style car ASAP, but it's never that easy. So I've done the most obvious thing and started at the finishing line with the finishing touches!

I'm lucky to have some great tech. and machinery to make things for applications like this... so I'm thinking of how to make a future car my own signiture motor!

For those of you who build, check out the finishing plates below, and let me know what you think! (only examples, Westfield is wishful thinking!) - I'm engraving real carbon fibre for instrument panels too and cutting complex shapes...

[img]http://i.imgur.com/7yckeNt.jpg?2[/img]

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

C.D.M.

posted on 27/2/16 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
http://i.imgur.com/kgvxkRg.jpg?1

Sorry chaps, won't seem to let me embed pic into my post, link will have to suffice

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

tims31

posted on 27/2/16 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
I Like those and will soon be in need of one for my Fury. Having spoken to Steve and Jay at Fury they are having trouble sourcing plates for a small run of no more than 14 at the moment, is it something you could do at a reasonable cost?

[Edited on 27/2/16 by tims31]

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

C.D.M.

posted on 27/2/16 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there tims31,

Absolutley. FYI the top one is ali. with a matte finish, middle is brushed stainless (316 marine grade so will remain brilliant) and bottom is genuine carbon fibre engraved and backfilled, all very durable.

The carbon ones can be filled with any colour and designs on all can be fully customized with intricate graphics, signatures, specified fonts, plaque sizes cut to your spec. etc.

Is my email visible?

tims31

posted on 27/2/16 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, can see that at the bottom of your posts.

I'll try and get the design of the ones they have at Fury so you can have a look at their current design and see what you can do and costs.

Must say I really like the Carbon ones, will just have to check that these will be ok for IVA.

Don't suppose anyone has a picture of the Fury Sportscars one they have so I can show what I need?

C.D.M.

posted on 27/2/16 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one.

Where can I view the IVA requirements/standards in detail? Would like to see what is necessary for compliance.

Cheers

tims31

posted on 27/2/16 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look in the IVA section and its a sticky at the top to the latest version.

here

Section 18 Page 143

And heres the images for everyone
Description
Description

C.D.M.

posted on 27/2/16 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers mate. Just had a look and I'm certain these style plates would comply - durability seems to be the main factor to achieve from a manufacturing perspective (coatings permissable for protection), but the wording is subjective regarding what kind of wear it would have to resist (use our common sense). Regarding legibility, resistance to conspicuous alteration/doctoring and methods of marking, I am laser etching and engraving to significant depth with the carbon plaques; wear couldnt possibly remove this, and detail is immacculate thus fiddling the required numbers would be bloody comendable!

Provided drawings, layouts, I can "build-to-print" anything.

Thoughts...

tims31

posted on 27/2/16 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C.D.M.
Cheers mate. Just had a look and I'm certain these style plates would comply - durability seems to be the main factor to achieve from a manufacturing perspective (coatings permissable for protection), but the wording is subjective regarding what kind of wear it would have to resist (use our common sense). Regarding legibility, resistance to conspicuous alteration/doctoring and methods of marking, I am laser etching and engraving to significant depth with the carbon plaques; wear couldnt possibly remove this, and detail is immacculate thus fiddling the required numbers would be bloody comendable!

Provided drawings, layouts, I can "build-to-print" anything.

Thoughts...

Yep, I've had a read through too and I'm sure they would comply so long a s we get the lettering height right etc. I'm sure laser etching into carbon would be fine and the ali ones would just need a coating so as not to allow it to rub off easily.

The Stamped in VIN must be placed in a clearly visible and accessible
position by a method such as hammering, stamping, etching (metal
chassis) or embossed, moulded into the structure (glass fibre or carbon
fibre chassis) so that it can not be obliterated or deteriorate.

I've sent a message to Fury Sportscars to get them to send me a picture of their current one so I'll get that back and send you more details so you can give an idea of costs.

Thanks for your help

C.D.M.

posted on 27/2/16 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
The ali. ones are annodized black then etched down to bare ali., and clearcoated matte here purely for aesthetics as an on-show touch, but can be gloss - it wont come off basically and clear coating is not imperitive.

Fixing methods can easily be facilitated i.e. rivet holes, extra perimetre for bonding in to comply

Cheers!

tims31

posted on 27/2/16 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds great, I'll get back to you as soon as i hear from Fury

ste

posted on 27/2/16 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
They look fantastic.

One point for you though, they are not compliant for the VIN as it needs to be on a permanent part of the chassis, re-read your quote. A plate isn't compliant unless it can be permanently attached, even welded on they want it all the way round so it is harder to grind off.

can you give a rough price for each of the examples shown please?

steve

C.D.M.

posted on 27/2/16 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks ste,

These are merely examples for aesthetic representation, will PM you

ta,

Jamesc

posted on 27/2/16 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ste
They look fantastic.

One point for you though, they are not compliant for the VIN as it needs to be on a permanent part of the chassis, re-read your quote. A plate isn't compliant unless it can be permanently attached, even welded on they want it all the way round so it is harder to grind off.

can you give a rough price for each of the examples shown please?

steve

These should be compliant for Section 18: Statutory Plates... I think you're getting confused with marking of the VIN on the chassis, whereby it can be stamped on a plate and welded on rather than stamped in to the chassis.

C.D.M.

posted on 27/2/16 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Good points... I was thinking these plates and similar could be used in the mandatory forms mentioned as well as different designs for commemorative, decorative purposes which I've seen on vehicles in the past, on the dash, engine bay etc. By all means throw any ideas out and I can mock-up and experiment, be it designs, materials etc.

Cheers all

P.S. cant access my U2U currently, not sure why

[Edited on 27/2/16 by C.D.M.]

tims31

posted on 27/2/16 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamesc
[

These should be compliant for Section 18: Statutory Plates... I think you're getting confused with marking of the VIN on the chassis, whereby it can be stamped on a plate and welded on rather than stamped in to the chassis.

Yep, that's what I will be using it for, I already have a vin plate welded to the chassis, these are the manufacturers plates that can be riveted to the body tub.

ken555

posted on 6/3/16 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Email sent re: GTM Plate

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jamesc

posted on 11/3/16 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
UPDATE:

I ordered a VIN plate from Clive earlier in the week, to my simple design. It's the anodized Aluminium one.

It arrived today and I'd more than recommend these to anyone else needing a VIN plate, or any other engraved items. I paid a very reasonable price (won't say exact price as it's obviously specific to the design/material/dimensions etc). It was less than other websites selling blank, un-stamped plates though.

I think it will pass IVA - Any opinions?

Cheers, James

C.D.M.

posted on 11/3/16 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks James

I'm glad you are pleased and it arrived swiftly in the mail!

I will have some pics to follow soon of more carbon fibre works... watch this space.

loggyboy

posted on 11/3/16 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Cheers, James

Providing the vin letters are 3.5mm it looks perfect for IVA to me.

What was the cost?

Mistral Motorsport

Jamesc

posted on 11/3/16 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

Cheers, James

Providing the vin letters are 3.5mm it looks perfect for IVA to me.

What was the cost?

I had completely forgotten about the 3.5mm characters... Measured roughly with a rule, they look exactly 3.5mm - How stringent are they likley to be?

Hopefully Clive won't mind - I paid £13.99 delivered. A good deal I thought, although I might need another with slightly larger characters!

loggyboy

posted on 11/3/16 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Great price.
no idea how strict, but IMO (and with no direct experience) anything more than 3.25mm would be reasonable.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.