Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone in to celestial telescopes? Any advice
bi22le

posted on 29/11/16 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone in to celestial telescopes? Any advice

My wife has asked for a telescope for christmas. She wants to look at Planets so a refractor scope is needed.

Ill be looking at the lower end and currently a celestron Astromaster 90EQ for £149 looks like a good buy.

Any advice \ thoughts?

I also need a phone holder for the eye piece but I am finding it hard to find what I think I need. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or again, any advice.

I have not seen this discussed on LCB before so come on, dont let me down!!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

coozer

posted on 29/11/16 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I quite fancy one as well so will be looking on with interest.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

gremlin1234

posted on 29/11/16 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I have not seen this discussed on LCB before so come on, dont let me down!!!
has been discussed before ;-) [only 3 years ago...]
https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=187202

[Edited on 29/11/16 by gremlin1234]

gremlin1234

posted on 29/11/16 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I also need a phone holder for the eye piece but I am finding it hard to find what I think I need. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or again, any advice.
this page may help
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/telescope-camera-mount

christim

posted on 29/11/16 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
I have the Astromaster 130EQ, and would recommend that as a starter scope. Anything smaller and although you can see things, they're just too small to get any 'wow' factor. With a 130 they're still not big, but large enough to get definition.
You'll be able to see ice caps on Mars, the Horsehead nebula, Jupiter's moons...
a 90 would be ok for looking at details on the Moon, and you'd see Saturn's rings.
Also, if you/she get into it a 130 will last longer before you want to upgrade, a 90 will need upgrading quite quickly.

Edit...also, the 130's cheaper? Astromaster 130EQ

[Edited on 29/11/16 by christim]

David Jenkins

posted on 29/11/16 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
There are some very good Russian refractors available - through eBay, I believe*. The problem I found with refractors is that you have to use a 90-degree eyepiece adaptor and a stool to see anything, unless you have a huge tripod. At least with a reflector you are looking in near the top of the tube. When I looked through the refractor mentioned below I was hunched over the eyepiece while sitting on a stool; when I used the reflector I was standing on a stepladder!

When I visited my brother in Inverness recently I had a chance to look though some of the telescopes owned by the Inverness Astronomy Society (I think that's their name). The biggest was a computer-controlled 15" job - impressive! However, I also looked through a 10" reflector, and I found it easier to see images in that.

What did freak me out a bit later on was looking at the sun directly through a scope - against everything I'd ever been told - but it was a very special device. The primary lens had all sorts of coatings to reduce the light's intensity, then the image went through a thing called an etalon, which is a complex device to filter out all but a narrow band of light. It was weird but wonderful to watch prominences and sun-spots as they happen. As you can imagine, these scopes are expensive - the one I looked through was just short of £2000, and it wasn't very big! Add the cost of a massive tripod plus a selection of good eyepieces, and it all add up.

As for the Andromeda galaxy - not many people realise how big it is in the sky - it's about 6 times the apparent width of the moon! However, it's too faint to see without a scope.

Andromeda size

* Used to be available - not sure if you can still get them... they were good though, and came in a big wooden box with loads of accessories.

[Edited on 29/11/16 by David Jenkins]

LBMEFM

posted on 29/11/16 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
As coozer I shall also watch with interest, I saw the ones mentioned in town the other day they look good. It sounds amazing that you will be able to see Mars ice caps, Jupiter's moons and the rings of Saturn. Although I have always been fascinated by the stars I didn't think you would be able to see such detail with relatively cheap telescope.
David Jenkins

posted on 29/11/16 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Not much use getting involved with astronomy where I live, as the light pollution is dreadful - there's a vaguely orange sky most clear nights. This is due to the town lights of Ipswich, Colchester, a nearby large village, plus the lights of the A12 and Felixstowe docks.

Hence my interest in solar telescopes... if I could afford one...

geoff shep

posted on 29/11/16 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
My wife has asked for a telescope for christmas. She wants to look at Planets so a refractor scope is needed.

Why do you say that refractor is needed?

bi22le

posted on 29/11/16 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the responses.

After reading some buying guides and speaking to Wex Photographic is send that the best type of scope to view planets is a refractor scope. So that's what I have been looking for.

I have a basic understanding of the scopes and what to look for but considering I have never used one I don't actually know what I am taking about!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

JC

posted on 29/11/16 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
We bought one a lot of years ago. My advice is make sure you get a decent mount/tripod - at those magnifications you need a really solid mount! I would also go for one that automatically tracks objects - sounds like it takes half the fun away but we got frustrated when one of us found an object, said 'wow look at that' only for it to be gone from the viewfinder by the time you got to look!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 29/11/16 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Telescopes are a waste of money. A small mirror is all you need to see Uranus.

Sorry, somebody had to say it.

MikeRJ

posted on 29/11/16 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
A Maksutov-Cassegrain scope might be a better buy (longer focal length and larger aperture for your money compared to a refactor) and work well for planetary viewing giving nice sharp images. Irrespective of the type of telescope, low quality eyepieces will limit performance and cheaper scopes do tend to come with pretty crappy eyepieces.

I would thoroughly recommend a visit to Stargazerslounge. Stacks of information and lots of helpful people.

[Edited on 29/11/16 by MikeRJ]

LBMEFM

posted on 29/11/16 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
What's the difference celestial and solar telescope?
David Jenkins

posted on 29/11/16 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
See my post above - solar telescopes allow you to look directly at the sun due to special (and expensive) internals. This means that you can look at the sun without instantly frying your retina...

There alternative ways of observing the sun - use an ordinary telescope to project the image onto a white card, for example. Ideally, the white card is held in a special frame, usually boxed in so you can see the image clearly. Very safe, and you can still see an amazing amount of detail.

steve m

posted on 29/11/16 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Telescopes are a waste of money. A small mirror is all you need to see Uranus.

Or if its my wifes, a large mirror

I bought a 150mm refractor telescope a few years ago, and have never seen a bloody thing trough it, so it went back in its box, and stayed there

but I might try it again at some point,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

JoelP

posted on 29/11/16 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
pretty sure you can get solar filters for any telescope.

As with all things, id suggest a secondhand one on ebay is better than a new one.

Im going to make my own one day!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

David Jenkins

posted on 29/11/16 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
The solar filters that go at the back of the scope (i.e. in the eyepiece mount) are supposedly very dangerous - there is a risk of them breaking due to heat and exposing your eye to the full blast of light, causing instant blindness in that eye.
There are different filters that go across the front of the telescope, made of similar stuff to the plastic they put in solar eclipse glasses. This is a lot safer as it takes the majority of the energy out of the sunlight before it gets magnified. It's important to get the proper stuff from a telescope supplier though (it's cheap enough).

posted on 30/11/16 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 6" refractor home build.

I bought this book. Build Yourself A Telescope For Only Fifty Pounds.

Paul G

posted on 30/11/16 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 6" refractor home build.

I bought this book. Build Yourself A Telescope For Only Fifty Pounds.

Paul G

steve m

posted on 30/11/16 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
So good he said it twice

But its a good idea though!

[Edited on 30/11/16 by steve m]

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

posted on 30/11/16 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
So that's why it cost £100

David Jenkins

posted on 30/11/16 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
One for each eye...

posted on 30/11/16 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
It does have an iris.

This is great for looking at the moon, as you can cut down the light.

The lens came from the camera in a WW11 Mozzie.
I wonder what its seen in its time?

MikeRJ

posted on 30/11/16 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
It's quite possible to make your own refractor, including grinding your own lenses but it's a long and involved job.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.