Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Home made seat pads
Slater

posted on 5/3/17 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Home made seat pads

I've made some seat pads for 2 reasons, one, to stop me sliding side to side in the MAC#1 fibreglass seat ( I am quite narrow so needed some wedging in) and two to try and make the seat a bit warmer, as I drive it all year round.

I ordered 2 yoga mats from amazon, 15mm thick, 15 pounds each. Then experimented with cardboard template to get the best shape for the bucket seat, it was quite tricky to get the bit either side of my hips right. Once happy with the fit and size I cut the mats using the template with a sharp retractable stanley knife, ensuring to make just one cut through the neoprene foam, a second go with the knife just ended up with a ragged edge. I did the cutting on a big sheet of plywood.

I also made some half thickness cuts in the back of the neoprene where I needed it to bend.

Once done it fitted nicely in the fibreglass seat and reduces the width at my hips so I am nice and snug in the seat now. No need to fix/glue/velcro the pads in either as it seems to stay in just fine.

Quite pleased with the result, its certainly holds me in better and its a lot warmer. Just thought I'd share this as a cheap and easy winter mod.

[img] Seat Pad Template
Seat Pad Template
[/img]

[img] Seat Pad Installed
Seat Pad Installed
[/img]

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Banana

posted on 5/3/17 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Looks comfy. I'm going to try one on the base for a bit of grip and support.
bi22le

posted on 5/3/17 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Nice work.

This topic comes up quite often and so a DIY write up will come use many people.

How do you think the foam will last up to rivets in jeans

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Slater

posted on 6/3/17 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, not sure how hard wearing the pads will be, but I have a few of-cuts left that could replace any worn out seat base sections. Or I can just cover the worn areas with black duct/duck tape.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

nick9one1

posted on 8/3/17 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yoga mats are a great idea. I was looking at 15mm neoprene foam, but its quite expensive at about £35 for 600mm x 1000mm
owelly

posted on 8/3/17 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
I used a camping mat from some discount store for £4. It's only about 10mm thick but ok. Previous to that, I used that spongy floor mat which was 20mm thick and it wouldn't bend to shape but the Halfords stuff (£8 for 6 squares with discount card) looks to be a good halfway solution.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.