Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Edd China leaving Wheeler Dealers
christim

posted on 24/3/17 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Edd China leaving Wheeler Dealers

He's off apparently Can't see the show carrying on much longer without him, the main reason I & others I know watched was for the actual mechanic work...and that's the bit the new company want to cut?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IB15T1LYiY

chrisxr2

posted on 24/3/17 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Completely agree, for me, Ed was and is the show.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

monkeyarms

posted on 24/3/17 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Mikes reply

http://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/mike-brewer-speaks-shock-edd-china-departure/131783

Lots been said about this, good luck to both of them. They have given us a great tv show over the years.

snapper

posted on 24/3/17 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the Americans have shot themselves in the foot by not understanding (or caring about) the audience.
For Ed to leave at the top is a brace move but probably the right one as the new series could be a bit like Top Gear Mk 2 and we know how that ended.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

benchmark51

posted on 24/3/17 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry, I think Chris Evans is available!
chillis

posted on 24/3/17 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Not exactly a surprise if you have been a follower of the show. Since they started making the shows in the US the quality and content went down in my opinion and the show was more about entertainment than content- (typical american brain dead rubbish.)
Discovery have been on a mission to cut costs after wasting all that money buying olympics coverage for Eurosport to show in countries whose national carriers showed the olympics for free - DOH! Mythbusters, Deadliest catch and wheeler dealers are just three of many casualties.
Can't really blame Sky for not wanting to pay discovery $40million per year for outdated shows, endless repeats, and poor quality 'modern' shows - red necks in Alaska, fake gold miners and people brewing illegal spirits (promoting crime discovery thats very public spirited - pun intended)
Discovery have too many channels and their content is spread too thinly. They need to lose some channels and consolidate on providing the good quality content they built their paqst reputation on. -They've made their world too big LOL
Edd has done the right thing - keeping his integrety intact. For that he retains my respect.
I'm sure he will be back on our TV's soon and what ever it is it'll be worth watching.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

nick205

posted on 24/3/17 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
It's a shame indeed.

Mike I can take or leave, but I did watch the show for Edd's mechanic input. Scripted...yes and no seized bolts either, but OK for me.

christim

posted on 24/3/17 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'm the same, I can take or leave Mike Brewer, though not a hater like a lot of people seem to be of him.
For me too the show went downhill when they started importing fancy rare cars and doing them up. Great to see, but I liked the earlier series where they did up cars anyone could get their hands on...no reason why someone today couldnt get inspired by the show and go out to buy an old triumph, land rover, mini, bmw, golf, etc, etc. But then, an imported Bel-air? Lamborghini? Etc? Great to see these rare classics being restored, but it moved away from the "this is what we did, now you can go in your garage and do the same" format.

hearbear

posted on 24/3/17 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
That's another thing the yanks have ruined just hope they don't buy all our chocolate company's as destroy them also. 😉 Oops to late.

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

craig1410

posted on 25/3/17 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like I'm in the minority by welcoming the switch from Edd to Ant Anstead (that was quite funny, my spell checker tried to change 'Edd' to 'End' and 'Anstead' to 'Instead' )

Ant is a really knowledgable car restorer and you may have seen him already on 'For the Love of Cars' with Philip Glenister. He's also been on a few other car programs and comes across really well.

No disrespect to Edd but I felt the format of WD had become a bit stale and Edd wasn't great in front of the camera IMHO. Ant is equally capable technically (more so I'd say) and is much more natural in front of the camera.

Anyway, I think we should give Ant a chance and see how it works out. He's really likeable and definitely knows his stuff. Try to imagine yourself in his shoes as a fellow petrol-head before criticising him. He's quite active on Twitter if you want to get to know him a bit better. @AntAnstead

[Edited on 25/3/2017 by craig1410]

JC

posted on 25/3/17 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
I agree about Ant, he's quite good. However, the new production team are changing the format of the show as, to paraphrase Edd, 'the detailed mechanical bits in the garage that everyone watched were too expensive to make'. This was what made the show good. Now, much like Top Gear in the immediate post-Clarkson days, there is always a chance that what they come up with might be better.............

Edd says he will be putting out more content on his YouTube channel now though

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 25/3/17 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I had seen Edd's video about format changes but I'll reserve judgement until I see the result. Like I said above, I think the current format is needing a bit of a revamp. It's not as if the detailed mechanical sequences with Edd were particularly sophisticated and often just seemed to be a way to show off (advertise) a piece of equipment that most of us could never justify having.

Everyone was up in arms when the old trio left top gear but I'd say now the new top gear has finally found a team who make the grand tour irrelevant. Hopefully the same will happen here.

morcus

posted on 25/3/17 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I saw this the other day and my first thought was "They still make Wheeler Dealers?". like others said it was much better when it was cars you could possibly buy and things an amateur had some chance of doing (And before every car got a full respray and was then sold at a massive loss without even counting labour).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

SteveWallace

posted on 26/3/17 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
I think that Wheeler Dealers has had its day. Not because it wasn't interesting, but because there are only so many times that you can watch Ed diagnose that the track rod ends are worn out and need replacing. I learnt a lot from the show when I was a complete novice in the early stages of building my car, so I thank them for that.

Unfortunately, there was no way that they could sustain just doing up old cars that you could pick up from "an internet auction site" or Auto Trader without repeating makes and models, so inevitably they had to move to more exotic varieties that are out of the price range of mere mortals or are as rare as hens teeth. Part of the appeal was the nostalgia of seeing them work on cars that were around when I was younger.

I used to plan to watch it and never missed an episode, however, I tend to only watch now if I'm at a loose end or stumble across a particularly interesting episode.

For me, the best bit was always watching Ed doing the repairs, not the bits that were farmed out or seeing how good a very expensive spray job could be.

Maybe Ant will find a new angle that will regain the interest from people like me, but I'm finding it difficult to see what that might be

"I know every nut and bolt and cog in that car, I built it myself" - The Prisoner, 1967

02GF74

posted on 26/3/17 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC
to paraphrase Edd, 'the detailed mechanical bits in the garage that everyone watched were too expensive to make'. This was what made the show good.

how expensive can it be to put up a camera, microphone and some lights in the same garage?

craig1410

posted on 26/3/17 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by JC
to paraphrase Edd, 'the detailed mechanical bits in the garage that everyone watched were too expensive to make'. This was what made the show good.

how expensive can it be to put up a camera, microphone and some lights in the same garage?

Perhaps the costs came from the fact the camera crew probably had to hang around for hours to capture the various stages of a particular repair. Also, it's a bit tricky sometimes trying to get good footage of dirty oily bits and probably required quite a few takes. So it's bad enough having to pay for the host/mechanic but when you also have to pay for a multi-person camera crew plus have a 2nd pair of hands around (good old Paul) to help remove the occasional exhaust or axle, then the costs probably mount up.

I don't know how many of you watch Car SOS but I really like that program, largely because of the chemistry between Tim and Fuzz. I also think the whole premise of rescuing a project which means more than is typical to a fellow car enthusiast, is quite compelling. The show is a nice mix of entertainment and education and usually revolves around a nice storyline with great characters. Did anyone see the Volvo P1800 episode with Sir Roger Moore making a cameo appearance? That was ace!

Anyway, let's hope they find a way to update WD without breaking it.

Anyone know when we are likely to see the first episode with the new team?

David Jenkins

posted on 26/3/17 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
I agree about Car SOS - when I first saw the programme name in the listings I thought it was another stupid USA production. But then I actually saw an episode... The presenters are good, not too much obvious playing up to the camera (though there is some), and the basic idea of the programme is good.

Even my wife will watch it, purely as entertainment!

craig1410

posted on 26/3/17 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah same here, it's one of the few car programs my wife actually enjoys!

[Edited on 26/3/2017 by craig1410]

hkp57

posted on 27/3/17 at 03:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410

The early stuff from that show was good but the later stuff got annoying with the "Tim must get a huge discount" or blag this and blag that got somewhat tiresome but the formula worked.

Real people getting something done for them. Some would question some of the people rewarded as they clearly were from families with sufficient means to do it themselves. Or were they funding some of the budget?

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
Toyota C-HR Hybrid Limited Edition
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

Irony

posted on 27/3/17 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
The problem I have with Car SOS is the same as the problem I have with Wheeler Dealers. I find Fuzz Townsend and Edd China the backbone of the show and really worth watching. The the non-mechanic presenter pops up and talks crap for a bit. I think maybe Fuzz and China should start there own show.
craig1410

posted on 27/3/17 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hkp57
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410

The early stuff from that show was good but the later stuff got annoying with the "Tim must get a huge discount" or blag this and blag that got somewhat tiresome but the formula worked.

Real people getting something done for them. Some would question some of the people rewarded as they clearly were from families with sufficient means to do it themselves. Or were they funding some of the budget?

To be honest I don't believe the show has anything to do with whether the owner of the car has the means with which to restore the car or not. In fact, having an interesting car in your garage in need of restoration would tend to suggest a certain amount of disposable income. Usually the storyline is more along the lines of some sort of health problem or accident which has prevented the completion of the car and these guys are there to rescue what would in all likelihood become a scrapper.

In terms of the economics of the show, I expect they make a certain amount of income from the TV show viewings plus I would expect some of the companies featured doing elements of the restoration probably give up their resources in return for some implicit advertising. It's possible that some sort of contract is also drawn up with the owner (or their family) to recover some portion of the sale price of the car if it ever sold on but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that wasn't the case.

[Edited on 27/3/2017 by craig1410]

MikeRJ

posted on 27/3/17 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
The only thing I have against Edd China is that he peddles the Terraclean snake oil crap.
steve m

posted on 27/3/17 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
"The non-mechanic presenter pops up and talks crap for a bit. I think maybe Fuzz and China should start there own show."

Good shout, both are decent car guys, and both very watchable for their knowledge and skill sets,
both Brewer and Tim wee me right off and almost make the programs almost un watchable

Back to my hatred of TG /GT etc, I can not stand Hammond, thus I don't watch the programmes, because
he needs a tube off canniston
"to eradicate an irritating c*nt

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.