Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gear Knob Issues
ttalps2000

posted on 16/6/17 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Gear Knob Issues

I have a car builders solutions torpedo gear knob, which is held on with x3 grub screws. I have used the correct sleeve and put Loctite onto the grub screw threads, yet it still comes loose and wobbles around after 5 mins of use!

Any one else had this issue and found a solution? Cant easily get my gear stick out due to the plank who did my interior and so putting on a threaded gear knob is proving difficult at the moment!

peter030371

posted on 16/6/17 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ttalps2000
I have a car builders solutions torpedo gear knob, which is held on with x3 grub screws. I have used the correct sleeve and put Loctite onto the grub screw threads, yet it still comes loose and wobbles around after 5 mins of use!

Any one else had this issue and found a solution? Cant easily get my gear stick out due to the plank who did my interior and so putting on a threaded gear knob is proving difficult at the moment!

Had exactly the same problem with my old Striker. In the end I just did them up f*****g tight, until I almost snapped the little allen key, and that would hold for a month or two each time.

I was going to try getting smaller grubs screw and then fitting tww in each position to act as a kind of locking screw but never got around to it.

ttalps2000

posted on 16/6/17 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
glad its not just me then!!
Mr Whippy

posted on 16/6/17 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
buy a better gear knob, last thing you need when trying to overtake damn thing coming off....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 16/6/17 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Araldite.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Smoking Frog

posted on 16/6/17 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Where the grub screws contact the stick or sleeve, is it possible to drill a small indent to locate the screws?
overdriver

posted on 16/6/17 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Had the same problem. Tried all sorts of lining/packing (including garden hose pipe).

Eventually cracked it by grinding a nut (M8 I think) until it was a very tight fit in the knob, drilled small indentations in the nut through the grub screw holes thus securing the nut (via the grub screws) within the knob and then screwed the knob onto the existing gear lever thread preceded by a nut (M8 again) and spring washer to lock up to.

A good dose of threadlock doesn't go amiss.

Michael.

steve m

posted on 16/6/17 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just a question, but does your gear lever vibrate ?
and if so, does it get worse the more throttle is being used and almost impossible to hold on to ?

If so, its your propshaft, either out of balance, or the bearings are getting very loose

I could tell you how I know, but recently ive replaced an old shagged propshaft, and I can now hold onto the gear lever (with no vibration) at 7k

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

chris_smith

posted on 16/6/17 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
I had this problem once and solved it by drilling through and fitting a roll pin

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.