Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New fangled mattresses!
ReMan

posted on 24/1/19 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
New fangled mattresses!

About as OT as it gets, but its a bit quiet in here!
So keeping it clean! Any of you have any opinion , from experience, of these newish super memory foam /gel/ hybrid mattresses?

Need a new one and a quick test in the usual bed shops and some are OK-very nice but I have reservations. And more so about buying one of the many on-line-in a box type

Budget up to £750, ish

TIA

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

UncleFista

posted on 24/1/19 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
I can't comment on that type, but if anyone needs a decent mattress, and you know someone who works for Whitbread (Premier Inn, Costa etc.) they can get you a quality Hypnos king size mattress for around £180 (half price). It's Premier Inn branded so it looks stolen, but very comfortable

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

rusty nuts

posted on 24/1/19 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
You could try one of the hundred day trial mattresses before buying?
matt5964

posted on 24/1/19 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
We tried a few with no joy long term

My wife found them to hot and sweaty.
The comfort does not last

We went for a wool matterice and would never by another synthetic again.
Best nights sleep rather of us have had ever

Well worth the investment

https://www.thewoolroom.com/wool-beds-mattresses/wool-mattresses/

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

loggyboy

posted on 24/1/19 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I bought generic memory foam from Dreams about 8-9 yrs ago. has been superb. I liked how it 'broke in' (Hence the memory bit), so after a few months use it was softer where you regularly laid. It was no where near as dear as these current online ones (Emma, Eve etc).
I am looking at a replacement as was thinking about playing the 100 day trial game. (there are multiple manufacturers offering it) so you could buy one, keep for 3 months, send back get refund and buy a new one from another supplier. You could theoretically never have a mattress older than 3 months for the cost of 1! Would last as long as your willing to try new suppliers or even try under different 'members' of your household or use home and work address etc. Possibly more hassle than its worth!

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 24/1/19 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
100 day trial puts me off for a start!

How do you know whether the one they send you hasn't been to a few other people before it gets to you?

loggyboy

posted on 24/1/19 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
100 day trial puts me off for a start!

How do you know whether the one they send you hasn't been to a few other people before it gets to you?

They guarantee new ones for all customers and send all used ones to charity!

Mistral Motorsport

cliftyhanger

posted on 24/1/19 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
We had a Relaxsan original mattress. For nearly 15 years (it had a 15 year guarantee/warranty, sliding scale etc)
Quite firm, but we also had a 2" softer topper. Found it very comfy, but as I was a fat git for the first several of those years, it did sink a little.
What did we replace it with? Another one the same......

Daughter has the softer version, she likes it a lot (though not used much now as she lives mainly away from home)

StrikerChris

posted on 24/1/19 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
I couldn't do with another memory foam mattress, they don't breath the same and I got fed up of waking up in a sweaty mess!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dingz

posted on 25/1/19 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
We’ve just ordered a combination mattress from Dreams, the local shop has a bed you lay on (yes I know) and seems to weigh you and finds your lumps and bumps in your sleeping position. Then recommends an assortment of mattresses to try, saves trying every bed in the shop and forgetting what it was like.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

JC

posted on 25/1/19 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote
We had a pure memory foam for 7 years - was good but only ever needed a summer duvet, or just a duvet cover in the summer.
We now had a memory foam over spring mattress, which is good, came from a local independent on a deal and was around the £750 mark - its very good and I like it.

As someone who travels a lot, the Premier Inn mattresses are really good.
The best 'hotel' mattress is the Marriott one - you can buy them from Marriott but they ain't cheap though!!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 26/1/19 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
New fangled mattresses

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
So keeping it clean!

Why? What ‘specialities’ do you get up to in it? Have you tried rubber sheets?

Sorry! Couldn’t help myself there!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

David Jenkins

posted on 27/1/19 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
I tried a memory foam pillow - found it far too hot and sweaty. No way am I going to buy a mattress of the same material.

ReMan

posted on 27/1/19 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your helpses.
Were going to do a bit more shop testing, but yoive confirmed our concerns, but there are a myriad of different design combinations out there, and weve found one or two to our liking and under budget so might take a punt yet at a stand to lose it price

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.