Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dibond for interior panels
felix_kentish

posted on 9/2/20 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Dibond for interior panels

I'm looking to order some material to do my internal panels on an MK Indy. I was originally looking at some Ali sheet but come across Dibond. Looks to be light, stiff and if comes prepainted.
Is there any reason I shouldn't use this for the interior back panel, tunnel side panels, tunnel top and interior side panels?

Thanks

Slimy38

posted on 9/2/20 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
If it's the stuff I've seen, it doesn't take much to damage or pierce the surface, or even fold up. For example, if you used your transmission tunnel as a hand rest to get into the car, there is a possibility your hand could go through. You could brace it, but then it would be harder work than just regular metal panels.
ken555

posted on 9/2/20 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've used it in the form of old road signs.

Made the switch panel, dash, and passenger storage tray.

In the rear I made the boot floor and sides.

Nothing structural, but couldn't see why not. If you use a router and cut a "V" in it, you can fold it, then PU the join.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theduck

posted on 10/2/20 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
If it's the stuff I've seen, it doesn't take much to damage or pierce the surface, or even fold up. For example, if you used your transmission tunnel as a hand rest to get into the car, there is a possibility your hand could go through. You could brace it, but then it would be harder work than just regular metal panels.

Dibond is two layers of ali with a resin/conmposite layer in between. Will be much stronger than any thickness ali sheet that would normally be used in those positions.

felix_kentish

posted on 10/2/20 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the responses guys.
It is a composite with 0.3mm aluminium each side and 2.4mm polyethylene core. I'd have thought it'd be quite strong but 0.3mm aluminium is pretty thin.
The comment above about putting your hand through it quite concerning. Maybe I should stick to some 1.2mm Ali panel.

theduck

posted on 11/2/20 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
I would also expect dibond to be far stronger than 1.2 ali sheet.
MagicalTrevor

posted on 11/2/20 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
DiBond is stiffer and stronger than I expected but it's also heavier than composites. I'm not sure I'd use it for internal panels for the weight reason but otherwise it ought to be ok.

I'm personally using carbon/grp sheet.

skippad

posted on 13/2/20 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
I use Diabond (which is an aluminium composite) sheets in my sign business all the time,
I first used the material in kit car building in 2002 for interior panels behind seats, dashboard etc as an alternative to ali sheets
easy to cut and paint, i've supplied quite a lot to my car building friends.
In fact ive got an abundance of usable offcuts available if anyone need some (without buying a full sheet)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
felix_kentish

posted on 13/2/20 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skippad
I use Diabond (which is an aluminium composite) sheets in my sign business all the time,
I first used the material in kit car building in 2002 for interior panels behind seats, dashboard etc as an alternative to ali sheets
easy to cut and paint, i've supplied quite a lot to my car building friends.
In fact ive got an abundance of usable offcuts available if anyone need some (without buying a full sheet)

That sounds promising. Ill get in touch regarding the offcuts.
Thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.