Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rivnuts in grp?
ned

posted on 11/5/05 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
rivnuts in grp?

having spoken to several people at newlands about the fitting of the dash to the scuttle, they say the bolts on the back of the domed cap heads are fiddly to get done up, what do people think about the possibiltiy of using rivnuts in a grp dash, would they hold in place or work at all or spin when you tighten them up?

picture should explan it all, i want to mount it like mookaloid has (hope he doesn't mind me borrowing his pic for illustration purposes )
Dash
Dash

cheers,

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
shortie

posted on 11/5/05 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
What about using rubber well-nuts, they are the type used for fixing motorcycle fairings, that's what I am going to use.

Rich.

CairB

posted on 11/5/05 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I used rivnuts in the GRP scuttle for my dash.

I've had the dash off many times over the last 3 years, not experienced any problems to date.

Also, I used wing nuts on the inside of the scuttle where it fastens to the firewall.
These make it a lot easier to fasten and remove than hex nuts.

Cheers,

Colin

ned

posted on 11/5/05 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
well-nuts? any pics or info rich?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 11/5/05 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ned,

I used Spire nuts - I think that is what they are called. Those are self tappers holding my dash in, and the spire nuts are those folded over spring things which self tappers go into - if that makes any sense

Cheers

Mark

shortie

posted on 11/5/05 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Here you go mate, you can get sets at Halfords including some nice black anodised bolts and the rubber nuts for about a tenner.

http://www.bsr-aerotek.com/store/index.php?cPath=382

Rich.

ned

posted on 11/5/05 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
thanks rich, so from the pics on the link, do the brass threads in the rubber pull up to the panel as you tighten it, like setting a rivnut, but in rubber?

think i'll probably go with rivnuts as i already have them, but i'm always intruiged as to how different captive fasteners work, they always turn out to be very useful for various projects

Ned.

Glan Noye

posted on 11/5/05 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Have you heard of Bighead fasteners?They are made for the job.They are local to me and have given me samples in the past. http://www.bighead.co.uk/ Glan.
RoadkillUK

posted on 11/5/05 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have used these ...

Here are a couple in situ. No I didn't use all the holes, just half

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

Volvorsport

posted on 12/5/05 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
you can get tee nuts which grip into wood when you tighten them up .

i use them the other way round and bond them in with grp , have never had one come loose yet , it pretty much permanent

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Mix

posted on 13/5/05 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Do a www. search for anchor nuts.

Mick

irvined

posted on 18/5/05 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
having spoken to several people at newlands about the fitting of the dash to the scuttle, they say the bolts on the back of the domed cap heads are fiddly to get done up, what do people think about the possibiltiy of using rivnuts in a grp dash, would they hold in place or work at all or spin when you tighten them up?

picture should explan it all, i want to mount it like mookaloid has (hope he doesn't mind me borrowing his pic for illustration purposes )
Dash
Dash

cheers,

Ned.

I just araldited some nuts onto the back of the scuttle - worked a treat.

BTW, what are the wing mirrors off? They look very SVA complient - I need a replacement set ideally with single 6mm mounting bolts.

Cheers

David

http://irvined.blogspot.com

BKLOCO

posted on 3/9/05 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Another way around this problem is to insert rivnuts into penny washers and fix these using either epoxy resin or an isopon type filler/adhesive. This spreads the load reducing the risk of breakout of the nut.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

donut

posted on 5/9/05 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
I used std round head bolts and nuts, can't see what the problem is ..... maybe i have longer arms that you Ned!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.