Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The joy of hand made things: Cobra seats
James

posted on 13/7/05 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
The joy of hand made things: Cobra seats

Whenever I'm moaning to my Dad about something that I've made on the car and one isn't right he quotes an old pottery teacher of his:

"That's the joy of hand made things- they're never the same twice"

Cobra seats are hand made aren't they!?

I couldn't understand how my Cobra Clubmans didn't fit properly. One slops around (when placed in the car- not fixed) the other doesn't. Also, the belt holes appeared offset by 20mm.

Have been cursing myself thinking that the chassis was out.

Anyway, finally switched them round and the problem migrated with the seats ie. the two seats are different sizes! Both bought at same time from Halfords and shipped direct from Cobra.
Even the mounting holes in the bottom are different... oh well, what do you expect for a mere £200!

Sorry, just venting a little frustration.

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

alister667

posted on 13/7/05 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I noticed my 2 match pretty well, but when I had a look at David Cromie's the belt holes are in a different place. I haven't compared them side by side, but his belt holes are a lot higher up the seat.
Seems odd that they don't work to a standard plan/layout on the cobra 7's - maybe it's down to individual 'craftsmen' at the factory.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 13/7/05 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
I think it's due to foam padding and the material assembler... the frame's should be the same (one would have thought) seems very odd that they are so far out. Give them a call - I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

Triton

posted on 13/7/05 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Fibreglass ones are hand made but come out the same because of the mould......would have thought the Cobra ones are made on a jig but the trimming may well be different between whoever makes them..ie no two people doing it the same way..
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 14/7/05 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
I had a pair Cobra seats which were two different shades of their standard colour - blue. The difference was bad enough for me to resell the seats!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

donut

posted on 19/7/05 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a Friday afternoon job to me!

I expect it's probably your welding mate!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.