Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dashboard design + gauges
nick205

posted on 8/8/05 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Dashboard design + gauges

Just made myself a plywood dash and still fighting (mentally) over the pain of having to use the Sierra instrument pod.

The best value range of gauges I have found is the Racetech ones. A set of Speedo, Tach, Fuel and Temp + all senders is going to set me back about £270, which I don't have. Plus I would need to buy something like the Bright6 shown in the photos to give the warning lights I need.

The Sierra pod is ugly and means messing about with a pain in the arse speedo cable as well. However it works, has all the lights and I know the speedo will be accurate for SVA.

Somebody help me sort this out PLEASE!

Are there any other solutions???

I've even considered not having a tacho to reduce the cost, but am worried it will look pants.

nick205

posted on 8/8/05 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
bright 6

Rescued attachment img20.jpg
Rescued attachment img20.jpg

nick205

posted on 8/8/05 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
bright 6

Rescued attachment img21.jpg
Rescued attachment img21.jpg

nick205

posted on 8/8/05 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
bright 6

Rescued attachment img22.jpg
Rescued attachment img22.jpg

rayward

posted on 8/8/05 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
my mates got some gauges made by sunpro in his car, they were cheap and look pretty good.

link to sunpro home page

can find out where he got his from if you interested

Ray

piddy

posted on 8/8/05 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Dashboard design + gauges

A cheap alternative that looks a lot better than the Sierra dials are Capri ones. Rescued attachment 165 to post.jpg
Rescued attachment 165 to post.jpg

bob

posted on 8/8/05 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the sunpro and VDO stuff that lowtension.com sell.

They also sell on ebay under the ID of lowtension as well.

nick205

posted on 8/8/05 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I'm looking!
RazMan

posted on 8/8/05 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Probably a bit more money than you want to spend right now ..... but it has all the lights and instruments that you will need and it looks really bling too!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
VinceGledhill

posted on 8/8/05 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
How much and from where?

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

RazMan

posted on 8/8/05 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Can be had for less than £400 on Ebay if you are patient

or you can buy direct from http://www.evodash.com

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 9/8/05 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
Razman - very smart unit and would look great on my new dash, but don't tempt me into something even more expensive - now I've got to think about that as well

Cheers
Nick

bob

posted on 9/8/05 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Best prices i can find for racetech instruments is http://www.rallydesign.co.uk

Mix

posted on 9/8/05 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Why not go with what you've got and plan to replace it later.
Just make two blanks now to ensure they are the same size.

Mick

donut

posted on 9/8/05 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
...or go for one of these....

Image deleted by owner

Description
Description

Only 189.99 for the basic car set up. You will still need a fuel guage and oil pressure/ water temp and the bright 6

http://www.veypor.co.uk/xcart/home.php

If i get one i'll set it back in the dash and mount it so it faces me.

[Edited on 9/8/05 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

donut

posted on 9/8/05 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

and I know the speedo will be accurate for SVA.

Make sure that you either use the original wheels/tyres (with plastic hub caps) or do what i did and let some air out the tyres!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

nick205

posted on 9/8/05 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Bob - good prices at Rally Designs!

I'm toying with the idea of just buying a speedometer+sender and then cutting the mechanical speedo section off of the Sierra pod. A bit untidy I know, but it gets around the speedo cable routing problem. I can the add the other dials when funds allow.

Nick

donut

posted on 9/8/05 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
how about these for ideas. I done these in photoshop.

Image deleted by owner

Image deleted by owner

Image deleted by owner

[img][/img]

Andy

nick205

posted on 10/8/05 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
good work Donut!

No. 2 is the look I'm aiming for

donut

posted on 10/8/05 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Well they are the VDO clock set from ETB Instruments and cost £299, all you will need then is a bright 6.

Andy

Jed

posted on 13/8/05 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Before buying the Racetech speedo and tacho you need to be aware of a couple of points:
The tacho doesn't have a 4/6/8 cyl selector switch as you'd expect from the leaflet. Instead it's a pot and you'll need to calibrate the tacho against some other RPM counter - in my case the runtime display in the Megajolt software.

The speedo uses a magnetic pickup (there's a magnet in the pickup and it senses metal zipping past it) and needs a metal disk of some sort to run against. They are configured for 833Hz signal giving 100mph. You'll need to find a suitable place for a disk that has the required number of vanes. Although the speedo is adjustable via a pot on the back if you set it to say use a 400Hz signal for 100mph then your mileage will only increase at half the expected rate.

Personally, I'd never use these tow guages again and instead would spend the extra on a proven setup.

Their 52mm range work ok though but don't match the rev and speedo.

nick205

posted on 14/8/05 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Jed,

Very useful info, which backs up what someone else has been telling me this weekend. I'm looking into other options now!

Cheers
Nick

Ronin

posted on 16/8/05 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Why not do as I did and buy a set of Smiths clocks from an old MG. Plenty come up on ebay. Just make sure the speedo is a 1000 turns per mile (its the 4 digit number on the guage) and that the rev counter is -ve earth. I bought fuel gauge and sender, oil pressure gauge and water temp gauge from ebay . My rev counter and speedo came from Andy Jennings at MG Spares , a really nice and helpful chap. He can probably help you out with the other gauges and senders as well.

I payed £90 for the lot and only had to give them a light clean to make them look like new.

jonbeedle

posted on 16/8/05 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same but I don't know what I'm doing!
You have U2U.
Cheers
Jon
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin
Why not do as I did and buy a set of Smiths clocks from an old MG. Plenty come up on ebay. Just make sure the speedo is a 1000 turns per mile (its the 4 digit number on the guage) and that the rev counter is -ve earth. I bought fuel gauge and sender, oil pressure gauge and water temp gauge from ebay . My rev counter and speedo came from Andy Jennings at MG Spares , a really nice and helpful chap. He can probably help you out with the other gauges and senders as well.

I payed £90 for the lot and only had to give them a light clean to make them look like new.

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion however stupid!"

britishtrident

posted on 17/8/05 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Triumph speedos are also 1000 tpm - I got a brand new old stock Smiths one for less han a tenner at an autojumble. The Tacho is also Smiths but a bit rougher so I will get a better one at next auto jumble,

The simple way to get an oil presure and water temperature gauge is to use a Smiths combined oil & water gauge as used in the MG Midget -- no electrics connects by capilary pipe only thing to watch is the engine end fitting is much bigger than a Ford sender but that can be worked round.

Ford MK2 1600e and Lotus Elan speedos and tachos are also suitable but when mounting take to avoid SVA sharp edge problems.

[Edited on 17/8/05 by britishtrident]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.