Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alcantara trimmed dash ?
Jeffers_S13

posted on 5/5/06 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Alcantara trimmed dash ?

Good or bad ? nice or not nice ? anyone have any pics ?

Thanks

James

muzchap

posted on 5/5/06 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Good until it gets wet!

I had a custom Alcantara interior in my Astra (yup used to work with MaxPower boys)

It was great until you left the window open - it would discolour and stained easily and then went threadbare in places!

Like anything - looks great when new - but shite after a few months - with the pounding the kitcars get - I personally wouldn't recommend it.

I'd go leather/vinyl based - or fibreglass/carbon

How's the 200 lump sounding

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!

Jeffers_S13

posted on 5/5/06 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah Ive got some vinyl and have started to cut it to suit but its not got the exact same grain pattern as the stuff the seats are covered with, so just thinking about a different alternative. I thought weather might be an issue with the alcantara so will prolly stick with the vinyl I already have.

It sounds cool with no silencer on, nice buzz/whine from the turbo. Got it booked for mapping on the 15th May. I have a movie or two of it driving if your interested ? just of me ambling about where I live. Not very long though and they are quite large files

gingerprince

posted on 5/5/06 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
I thought about using that too, but dismissed it on the weather front. I'm currently making and trimming a new dash, in black vinyl with hopefully blue inserts (though I can't seem to find any proper nice blue, most suppliers sell really navy blue stuff).

When I find blue it'll trim the (currently grey underfoamed) panel and the other panel's I'll be fitting. It'll then be a modular dashboard that I can easily retrim just the little panels if I want different lights/buttons.

In the meantime the search for a nice blue vinyl continues! If you know of or find a supplier of nice blue vinyl leatherette please let me know

iank

posted on 5/5/06 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if it's "nice" blue but woolies sell vinyl in "warm blue" and "dark blue"

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/Materials.html

Number 25

muzchap

posted on 5/5/06 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
James,

Yeah post up the vids mate

All the 200sx boys are waiting for you to get it running

I think you're in for a bit of 'drift' challenge - especially with Bayliss

If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!

zetec

posted on 5/5/06 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I've got some blue perforated leather that looks good. Picture of dash in my archive.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

gingerprince

posted on 5/5/06 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zetec
I've got some blue perforated leather that looks good. Picture of dash in my archive.

That is a rather tremendous looking interior, I'll be happy if mine ends up even a fraction of that! Where did you get the leather from? I've sent off for samples from a couple of places so will see what they look like.

zetec

posted on 6/5/06 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
If I remember right it was Martrim 01270 767771.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

stevebubs

posted on 9/5/06 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Working on it...

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=41191

stevebubs

posted on 9/5/06 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Martrim are a good supplier - also found on e-bay as (I think) "Interior Trim Supplies"
stevebubs

posted on 20/5/06 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Tonight, I have been mostly playing with Alcantera and contact adhesive... Rescued attachment Dash.JPG
Rescued attachment Dash.JPG

harvey115

posted on 24/5/06 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
if you use proper alcantara it dosnt stain or bobble up iv trimmed loads of cars in it and have no problems(its scotchguarded) i can supply alcantara for £50 a metre pluss pap or do the trim work for you www.interiorwizzard.com or call me 07771921692

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.