Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Smiths Instruments with X-Flow
SeaBass

posted on 5/9/03 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Smiths Instruments with X-Flow

I have Smiths instruments from a Dolomite Sprint, the Tacho, Oil Pressure, Voltage and Fuel Level will pose no problems.

What about the Speedo?? Has anyone used one with the standard 4-speed box?? Does it read anything like acccurate Which cable, custom cable??

Also the engine temp. Does the standard Ford sensor have the required resistance range to operate the gauge? Or will I have to use the Dolomite part With and adaptor?

I could probably figure this out by myself, using trial and error but anyone done this before? Know of any good links?

Cheers

Chris Leonard

posted on 15/9/03 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same problem with the same clocks. Anyone got any ideas - Sea bass have you managed to find out elsewhere?

chris

SeaBass

posted on 16/9/03 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
From what I've heard Chris you can get a cable for the speedo made up from Speedy Cables, all they need is gearbox type, length and speedo type. Don't know about the calibration though.

I reckon the rolling radius of the wheels on the Dolly is similar/the same as my setup. My concern is the speed the Ford speedo output turns at compared to the Dolly box. Is this standard??

Engine temp gauge will be worked on by trial and error. Checking voltages/resistance of the sender.

Cheers JC

Markp

posted on 16/9/03 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I used dolomite speedo and rev counter. Both were pretty much spot on although I did get the speedo recalibrated just to make sure. I wanted the car on the road for newark and if the speedo isn't calibrated it can take three / four weeks to have it done.

Sorry I can't be anymore help.

Mark.

Chris Leonard

posted on 18/9/03 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark,

who did you use to recalibrate the speedo and how much did it cost?

Cheers Chris

Markp

posted on 18/9/03 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
I used speedograph in nottingham, if you want the address i'll mail it to you. it cost £70.00p!

I thought this was expensive but what can you do?

On the good side, it was bang on

cheers mark

[Edited on 18/9/03 by Markp]

stretch

posted on 20/10/03 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Smiths intruments on x-flow

ok i've got an electronic speedo unit, but no success getting a sensor for it in this country, so i'm going to try and get a mechanical speedo (also smith from a jag) has anyone but a mechanical smith speedo on a 4/5 speed ford box?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stretch

posted on 20/10/03 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
my ford's electronic speeod sensor

this is the sensor from my ford fiesta/ikon anyone know if it would fit onto the ford rwd 4/5speed gearbox? and if it would work on the smiths speedo? Rescued attachment Picture28.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture28.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.