Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Running services from front to rear without a tunnel
iank

posted on 9/10/08 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Running services from front to rear without a tunnel

Not sure which section is best for this, but here seems as good as any.

I need to run the following services through the interior car, but I don't have a tunnel to stash them in.
  • Brake hydraulic pipe
  • Clutch hydraulic pipe
  • Accelerator cable
  • Loom (lights mainly)
  • Battery cable (battery at front, starter motor at rear)

Others with the same car (freestyle buggy) tend to run cables through a split plastic pipe on the top chassis rail and brake/clutch pipes on the floor close to the side. Neither is particularly great IMO and I'd like to hide them away in some kind of wide flat conduit.

Been looking through B&Q but I can't find anything that immediately seems ideal.
What I'm thinking is a flat back plate riveted/rivnuted onto the chassis with an internal standoff to allow p-clips/pipe clips to be invisible, finally a clip/bolt on cover to keep it tidy and SVA(/IVA ) safe while allowing maintainance.

Like this Conduit idea
Conduit idea

Should lightweight, waterproof and either be black or paintable. Having some kind of junction box for the ends wins bonus marks

Anyone seen anything like this, or have alternative suggestions?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

eznfrank

posted on 9/10/08 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Have you looked at places like PC World and staples for PC desk type conduit?
pewe

posted on 9/10/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Screwfix do a Cable Cover - the sort they surface run computer cable through which has a similar profile to the one you've drawn. Trouble is they sell it in 9m lengths @ c. £65. Maybe worth looking at office suppliers e.g. Staples etc. for shorter lengths.
HTH, Pewe

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/10/08 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
how about using the bottem side rails and simply feed the cables and wires through them, making a 20mm holes in either end (yellow arrows) should allow you to do that, then use a rubber gromet to seal and protect them. that way there's no risk of damaging them Rescued attachment buggy.JPG
Rescued attachment buggy.JPG

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
l0rd

posted on 9/10/08 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Would something like this go through SVA in a normal locost?

Thinking that the SVA pernson will not be able to inspect it properly?

iank

posted on 9/10/08 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
Would something like this go through SVA in a normal locost?

Thinking that the SVA pernson will not be able to inspect it properly?

I expect they'll want to see photos of the covers off showing properly pinned down pipes and cables if the lid can'd be prised off in the test. To be honest I think running brake pipes next to the passengers feet should be more likely to trigger a grumpy testers wrath, but they seem to go through ok.

But there's always places that can't be seen in any car. Common sense needs to prevail on both sides.

Currently looking at 60x30mm D-line trunking (hope that size is sold in B&Q), but need to figure out how to mount things inside clipped correctly.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

iank

posted on 12/10/08 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Found the perfect (well bar colour) thing in the local B&Q warehouse. PVC skirting board with a lit to allow hidden cable runs. Even has internal dividers to keep electrics isolated from brake/clutch pipes.

linky

--
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.