Board logo

Reverse Trike Question
dan8400 - 7/9/17 at 01:40 PM

Hi

I am planning a reverse trike build. I need to tidy up and MOT my tiger to sell so I have a budget for this build.

The question I cannot find an answer for is: do I need reverse gear?

I looked on the DVLA website and looked at the MSVA manual. It didn't mention it anywhere I can see. This either means I don't need it or I missed it in the text.

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Dan

loggyboy - 7/9/17 at 01:57 PM

Pretty sure its not required. Even road registered quads dont have them. Cars only.

dan8400 - 7/9/17 at 02:02 PM

Thank you

nick205 - 7/9/17 at 02:02 PM

What engine/transmission do you have planned for your reverse trike.

Presumably one from a motorbike?

dan8400 - 7/9/17 at 03:07 PM

Sports bike. 750 or bigger. Not really sure. I'm not a bike guy at all. So I have some homework to do.

I'll use commercially available front wishbones and geometry from the locost book.

There won't be much else to it. I want it simple and exciting

Thanks
Dan

nick205 - 7/9/17 at 03:32 PM

Understood.

Past experience has shown me that a letter to the DVLA often works and gives you written clarification from them.

Shooter63 - 7/9/17 at 03:34 PM

I've been thinking along the same lines, but a more traditional type ala Morgan, I think the easiest engine to use is a moto guzzi, it's across the frame and shaft drive so very simple to set up, air cooled as well.

Shooter

dan8400 - 7/9/17 at 03:58 PM

Thanks shooter. That's definitely worth considering

Nick205, good idea. If I have a peice of paper it will put my mind at ease. Something to show plod too

Thanks
Dan

bart - 7/9/17 at 03:59 PM

I am currently building a reverse leaning suspension trike and from my home work you do not need a reverse but it depends on finished weight. you will however need a parking brake !