Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: exo 3 wheeler chassis
designer

posted on 5/2/11 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Black is also the colour that will show all blemishes.

That is a brilliant finish, and I like the profile of it too.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 5/2/11 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
Black is also the colour that will show all blemishes.

That is a brilliant finish, and I like the profile of it too.

I agree with you there, black will show everything unless you make a good job of things and that looks sweet.....busting to see this beast built up so come on hurry up

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 16/2/11 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Indicator extension tubes

A chap at work turned these up on a lathe. Another guy happened to have a polishing mop with him. Here's the result.
Indicator extensions
Indicator extensions

Surrey Dave

posted on 16/2/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Bird Cage

Have you ever seen a Bird Cage' Maserati, lots of small tubes!!!

Great stuff , the only build I would consider in the future is a 3 Wheeler...........

[Edited on 16/2/11 by Surrey Dave]

Triton

posted on 31/3/11 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
How's the trike coming along? any more pics?

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

smart51

posted on 30/7/12 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
After a sudden burst of work recently, the trike was ready enough for a quick road test. Here it is from the front.

Front without covers
Front without covers

and from the left

FRH corner without covers
FRH corner without covers

and the right

RHS without covers
RHS without covers

It still needs cycle wings, a few covers and wing mirrors fitting. Oh, and a seat. First impressions are that it shifts off the line and that you feel, well, exposed. There isn't a trace of self centring, but is this a problem? I've looked through the MSVA manual and steering isn't mentioned. Do they check for self centring at MSVA?

sprouts-car

posted on 31/7/12 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
That front is a work of art!

Build blog

smart51

posted on 31/7/12 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks! It was a bitch to paint. I kept finding obscure bits that I'd missed.

scootz

posted on 31/7/12 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like a space-buggy (which is good!).

It's Evolution Baby!

maccmike

posted on 31/7/12 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Frame looks mint.
I once had a scooter when 14 points stopped me getting a car, after several miles and fully warmed up, the gyroscopic clutch (or whatever it is) wouldnt half slow it down, once cooled it was off again.

Slimy38

posted on 31/7/12 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Not seen this thread before so I'm coming on to it fresh, I have to say that frame is a stunning work of art. As mentioned it does bring into mind the ol' Birdcage from Maserati, but it makes a bog standard triangulated frame look really pretty.
MikeR

posted on 31/7/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Quick question - how do you change the radiator if it ever gets holed?

Apart from scratching my brain over that I echo others comments - looks fabulous.

smart51

posted on 31/7/12 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Quick question - how do you change the radiator if it ever gets holed?

The new one will go in the same way that the first one did - through the bottom of the chassis where there is just enough room. The rad cover is a little bigger and had to be twisted a bit to get it in. There were very nearly curses that day.

smart51

posted on 9/10/12 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
It's getting close to finished now, so here are a couple of pics now the cycle wings are fitted. Its only when looking at the photo that I've noticed the mirrors and instrument binacle are a bit wonky. It looks OK in the flesh, so I think I'll leave it.

Front with cycle wings
Front with cycle wings

Side with cycle wings
Side with cycle wings

smart51

posted on 12/11/12 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
It Passed!

Thanks to VOSA Derby my trike has now got a MAC. I just have to persuade the DVLA to give me a number plate and I'm on the road. The 100 mile round trip was good too, except for the rain.

HowardB

posted on 12/11/12 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
more pictures required, especially now that it has passed,... congratulations

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

smart51

posted on 8/1/13 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Well that's the DVLA inspection over. Just the wait for the plates now. I asked the guy if there was any chance of the getting the registration number today or tomorrow. I had to argue with my insurer's underwriter to get them to extend cover on a chassis number this long. They told me they would cancel tomorrow if there is no reg number. DVLA man's boss said, next week at the earliest. You've got to love the DVLA. Or something.

edited to correct the iPad auto'correct' (which I hate with an increasing passion)

[Edited on 8-1-2013 by smart51]

JC

posted on 8/1/13 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
What a fantastic build - love it! As a matter of interest, how/what have you painted the chassis with?
smart51

posted on 8/1/13 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
I originally painted it with zinc galvanising spray and lacquer. Partly to protect against rust and partly because it looked like aluminium. It rusted badly on its first drive out. So I scrubbed it with a paint removing pad and used rattle cans to repaint. A real PITA job.

JC

posted on 8/1/13 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Mms, yes, I can't wait! Did you use normal car paint from the cans?

How much does it weigh now it is finished?

smart51

posted on 8/1/13 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yep. Halfords Finest Ford Moondust Silver.

The MSVA man declared it to be 237kg by weighing it one wheel at a time. It will be roughly right. I was aiming for 220kg to match the 22 BHP. It's a bit over, but using car uprights, stub axles and brakes off a production car will do that.

smart51

posted on 30/9/15 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Going to the scrapyard in the sky

Some local scrotes tried to nick my three wheeler a couple of weeks ago. I got round to looking at it in detail at the weekend and they've bent the chassis where the steering column bolts on, plus damage to fibreglass, plastic and paint.

It's been kept outdoors under a cover for nearly a year since I lost the use of the neighbours garage, which means I've got nowhere to fix it. Plus it would cost as much to fix as I could hope to get in a sale so I've decided to call it a day. The insurers are going to write it off.

Benzine

posted on 30/9/15 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Noooooo that's such a shame will the insurance company take it away and scrap it?
smart51

posted on 30/9/15 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
They're going to send someone round to value it. Good luck with that. The plan is that they will take it away and scrap it in exchange for a cheque. Quite a small one probably.
Benzine

posted on 1/10/15 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Such a shame. Surprised this thread hasn't had more reaction to be honest. Someone gets their daily driver keyed and that thread fills up, yet a significantly more damaged scratch build doesn't get much attention (that's not to say a keyed car isn't awful, it'd have my blood boiling)

If the insurance company's offer is very low could you try selling through ebay as spares/repair/parts etc? Is fixing it out of the question due to not having somewhere to work on it? I'm sure there was a hell of a lot of hours and sweat went into building it, I just hope something better comes your way than a tiny cheque and it being scrapped.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.