Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Body styles
designer

posted on 5/9/12 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Body styles

Have been thinking about body profiles.

Top image is the starter.

Decided to go for a higher front as it is going to be a road car (middle image), and think I will go for a lower cockpit side as per the bottom image.

[img] bodystyle
bodystyle
[/img]

Now to think about the front!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
goin2fast52

posted on 7/9/12 at 03:51 AM Reply With Quote
I like your concept a lot, it's very similar to the 3-wheeler design I'd like to build for myself. Here's a design I've been sketching a lot that I drew on your chassis picture; you're welcome to use it if you'd like. It's not hard to do a standard formula car body on the front half, but I think the main problem with 3-wheelers is that the back end is usually left too open. The opening behind the cockpit is supposed to show off the motorcycle engine a bit, and I added some air scoops on the bottom to channel air to the radiator, or to cool the engine if it's air-cooled. The front could be extended a bit, and I like a lower front end, unless you're planning on doing something like the Sub 3-wheeler (http://www.sub3wheeler.com) in which case make it as high as you want. For headlights, I like the ones on the new Formula Ford Ecoboost (http://pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=26292), but smaller. Also, I think the body should extend to the top of the rollbar, but I wanted a lower height to make the car look sleeker; I'm not sure what the original height you specified was. Pretend that top bit of the rollbar isn't there.

[Edited on 7/9/12 by goin2fast52]

designer

posted on 7/9/12 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the viewpoint and agree with most of it. Here is how far I have got with my thoughts.

[img] nearly finalised side view
nearly finalised side view
[/img]

The car is for road use so I have chosen to make the front higher. Low is OK for the circuit but on a road car you need a bit more 'substance' to collapse if you hit anything and you do not want to wedge under another car.

I have gone for a low side cockpit, again because it is for road use and I like the 'airey' feeling of a '7' type cockpit side.

The side cooling vents will begin just after the rear front suspension brackets, and will provide some sort of 'crash' protection; haven't decided on their section yet.

I agree that these cars have an 'open' back end but, as long as the ugly bits of the bike are covered an exposed engine can look the part, like you have do this in your sketch.

Your sketch seems to aim for a low-slung racing car shape as you have a low cockpit front and a fully enclosed roll bar. I think it's a bad thing to be too low on the road.

I have been messing about with the front for two days and can't decide what sort of 'look' and shape I want.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 22/9/12 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Getting nearer to what I think I would like.

latest
latest

designer

posted on 24/9/12 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Latest thoughts:

side2
side2

Rounded the top of the bodywork with a 25mm curve and raised sides of cockpit.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.