Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mystery tilting trike.
Rorty

posted on 12/12/04 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
Mystery tilting trike.

Mystery claim their tilting independant suspension trike design is a first. I would disagree with that, but it is however high tech in what is otherwise a very low tech area i.e. Harley custom trikes.
As I understand it, they use air shocks, but in one of the pics, I think I can see link rods, so, the burning question is, are they using compressed air or levers to actuate the tilting effect? Mystery link.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Micke Fredriksson

posted on 15/12/04 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote

Hi! When I saw this picture, I started to wonder where I have seen a diff Like that for sale on the internet... Is there anyone knowing who´s selling a simular diff (just the diff)? I hope there´s a LSD version too!!

[Edited on 15/12/04 by Micke Fredriksson]

/ Micke Fredriksson

Rorty

posted on 16/12/04 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
The diff itself is nothing special looking. You could achieve the same with an open/slippy diff in a machined or spun casing with a suitably sized timing pulley.
I've made similar diffs except with sprockets instead of a timing pulley.
Just looking through my supplier's stuff, you can get timing pulleys in pitches from 2.5mm to 20mm and belt widths between 8mm and 50mm up to 400mm diameter. There are some pretty heavy duty belts around these days too.

Cheers, Rorty.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Micke Fredriksson

posted on 16/12/04 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
OK!! Then I´ll do one myself. Have you some pictures on the differentials you have made??

The Formula SAE student cars have made very nice diffs!!

/ Micke Fredriksson

krlthms

posted on 16/12/04 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rorty
The diff itself is nothing special looking. You could achieve the same with an open/slippy diff in a machined or spun casing with a suitably sized timing pulley.
I've made similar diffs except with sprockets instead of a timing pulley.
Just looking through my supplier's stuff, you can get timing pulleys in pitches from 2.5mm to 20mm and belt widths between 8mm and 50mm up to 400mm diameter. There are some pretty heavy duty belts around these days too.

Rorty,
Do you think there are any components inside the horizontal cylinder carrying the disk brake and the sproket for the toothed belt?
I guess I mean, is there really a diff in there, or is lt a bike rear end "stretched" in the horizontal direction? I suspect the latter because it would be awfully clever to stick a diff in space that small, with a "casing" that rotates.
Cheers
KT
Oh, how fast can a speeding pullet go?

Rorty

posted on 17/12/04 at 04:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Have you some pictures on the differentials you have made??

There's a thread in the Bec or Middy forums where I posted some info and a pic of an encased diff. It looks suprisingly similar to the picture above.

I would imagine there is a diff in there. It could be just a torsion tube, but it's a rather clumsy way of doing it then. A typical encased diff is only about 120mm diameter.
A diff from a quad would be substantially less.

Cheers, Rorty.

carcentric

posted on 21/12/04 at 04:50 AM Reply With Quote
Might this be of some use?
http://www.kartworld.com/Differential/DIFFERENTIAL-assmbled.htm

It's only rated at 14hp, but who knows? Once something breaks, you'd know what to reengineer.

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.