Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Narrow live axle
carcentric

posted on 2/9/03 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Narrow live axle

What cars have a rear end in the 40" to 45" wide range - non-IRS, open differential, light weight, and cheap? Preferably ones that would have been imported into the US.

My son wants to make my '80 Yamaha SR250 thumper into a trike, I think by bolting a sprocket on where the ring gear should be, replacing the inner axle bearings with sealed ones, and poking holes in the diff case for the chain to go in and out.

He says somebody named Reliantman has a web site about it, but it's a Geocities site that's shut down temporarily from overuse.

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

Viper

posted on 2/9/03 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
i know a lot of trikes (bike type, engine ect) built over here have used reliant regal and reliant robin axles, i doubt they ever made it to the states though...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PHULL

posted on 3/9/03 at 03:33 AM Reply With Quote
aaa

why not get find something unbreakable
and get the diff shortened

carcentric

posted on 3/9/03 at 05:12 AM Reply With Quote
PHULL -

Weight and cost. This is a single cylinder 250cc bike that only puts out 20hp.

So far, the best thing I've found isn't a car part at all - it's called a Hoffo Comet SCD-1:
http://www.staton-inc.com/Edit%20Pictures/1ac..JPG
Takes 1" axles.

M D "Doc" Nugent

kiwirex

posted on 3/9/03 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Not much sure of american cars, but wasn't there something called a chevy nova that was similar to the vauxhall chevette?? be about the right size
(ducks under the table and hides, just in case a chevy nova's one of those big whale thingies).

We've got a couple of farty little vans around the place suzuki, daihatsu and vauxhall rascall - they all seem to have live rear axles and they're pretty narrow (tip: drive SLOW around corners). Don't know if they've made it there.

Someone was saying the other day that seafreight wasn't that expensive on parts... mind you, importing a diff sounds a bit over the top.

Cheers,
Greg H

JoelP

posted on 3/9/03 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking about this, and i decided on one of the narrow vans. Owt like them in the States?
carcentric

posted on 3/9/03 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Kiwirex - There was a Chevy Chevette econobox some time back, but the later Nova's are what we call "compact" (you'd call it a limo).

JoelP - All vans here seem to be required by law to be 6' wide or wider!

I found a small diff on eBay that I think might work, but I'll need to have custom axles fabricated and use pillowblock bearings to support it:
http://www.carcentric.com/YamahaSR250Trike.htm

The rear wheels, btw, are from a Spitfire!

[Edited on 3/9/03 by carcentric]

M D "Doc" Nugent

coozer

posted on 4/9/03 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Bedford Rascal van has a narrow rear live axle methinks. Worth having a gander under the back of one.

Steve

chrisg

posted on 4/9/03 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Not many in the states I wouldn't have thought

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

pbura

posted on 4/9/03 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Nash Metropolitan/AH Bugeye Sprite had a track of 47". Close enough?

Pete

Mark Allanson

posted on 29/9/03 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Fiat Panda 4x4? Offset diff, but very light and narrow. I thing it was made by Puch Daimler Ster.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

JoelP

posted on 29/9/03 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
i was following a brand new daihatsu mini van the other day, it had a live axle.

i think in the uk we're sorted for small axles, americans dont know the meaning of the word small!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.