Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trike Build Update... Again, All Thoughts Welcome.
scootz

posted on 25/6/11 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Trike Build Update... Again, All Thoughts Welcome.

My last trike-build thread meandered about a bit as I changed direction more often than I changed my under-crackers (which is once a week for those with an interest in these things... and that's whether they need changing or not).

I started with a Formula Rolon single seater with an Aprilia engine and Hayabusa rear-end. Then I moved onto a BMW K1200 engine and R1200 rear-end. Then I sold the lot and bought a Swift DB1 single-seater and another Aprilia engine. And now they are going to be sold as I have (hopefully) settled on a master-plan and neither figures in it!

Anyway, I now have this:

It's a carbon-fibre single-seater monocoque that was designed for use in Formula Vee. Unfortunately the regs were changed and CF chassis were banned. Their loss... my gain!

This is what a finished car looked like (minus the nosecone / rear cover):

Like all Vee's, the running gear came from the VW Beetle. The front uses the H-Beam assy (the finished race-car had a fairly trick set-up):

Despite being as old as the hills, I plan to stick with a Beetle beam as the car was designed for one, they're as strong as an ox, easily maintained and relatively cheap. I also see that some US companies do ali beams for lightweight baja-bugs, so that would hopefully deal with the weight penalty.

The rear bulkhead has an ali honeycomb insert between the CF layers to provide extra strength. I'm thinking that my rear subframe will attach via top-hat inserts (so as not to crush the CF / ali honeycomb panel) and clevis-mounts. This is similar to how the VW engine was hung on the race-car:

Engine!? I always wanted to use a BMW Boxer twin as it lends itself to a simple installation (no radiator / plumbing), they're light (and that weight is all low-down), and it has a shaft-drive (low maintenance). That said, the 60-100bhp figures were rather underwhelming. So I searched high and low for the 120bhp R1200S engine only to find that they're few and far between and when one did pop-up, the prices were just ridiculous. And then came a miracle, not an R1200S lump for sale, but the holiest of holy's... the even more elusive HP2 Sport engine! What's more, it was sensibly priced! Get-in... 130bhp, 85ft/lbs and only 45kg! Game-on!

Like last time, I guess plenty of you will be wondering why am I taking a 4-wheeled race-car and making it into a trike? Firstly, I want something 'different', secondly, whatever I have must be road legal and whilst I would love to IVA a single-seater race-car, the test is just too restrictive. A trike comes under MSVA regulations and the test is comparatively simple (particularly the emissions regs).

I've done a conservative guesstimate of weights involved and it will comfortably come in under 300kg. Hopefully, as low as 260kg so I can hit the 500bhp per ton mark.

It's unlikely I'll get the thing on the road before the bad weather comes in, but I'd be sorely disappointed if it's not finished this year.

All thoughts / opinions welcome!

It's Evolution Baby!

v8kid

posted on 25/6/11 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Now you are really on the right track! Looks like this idea is a real go-er.

Light, easy to get high front roll stiffness, easy engine install. You will need to watch wheelbase don't get too long but I'm sure you will overcome that.

Keep us informed of the progress - I'd like to pop over to see it sometime when I'm not press-ganged on the boat!

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 25/6/11 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers David.

I'll give you a shout when the front and back has been joined together and it's back up the road.

It's Evolution Baby!

blakep82

posted on 25/6/11 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
what happened to the windle chassis/frame then?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

scootz

posted on 25/6/11 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Windle have the Swift frame just now, but we worked out that by the time they did the necessary work (particularly widening it for my fat ass... sorry, manly shoulders!), then it would be better to just change it over for a chassis in which I already fit!

They will be getting the CF tub down early next week and will still be doing the engine subframe work.

PS - if anyone is looking for good fabricators, then I can't praise Windle's workmanship highly enough. Good lads too.

It's Evolution Baby!

blakep82

posted on 25/6/11 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
i'd love one of their F1 chassis lol
when i u2u'd u a while back i thought it was all being done by them already, that was a few months ago now, but i hope it works out this time!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

scootz

posted on 25/6/11 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in a queue and they're busy!

Not a problem though as I made it clear when I asked them to do the work that there was no rush on my part. I figured they will have their core-customers who need quick service to go racing, so as far as I'm concerned they should deal with their needs first and then fit my weird little project in when it suits. TBH, I'm glad of the wait as I'd have been kicking myself if it was all built on the Swift chassis and then the CF tub and HP2 engine popped-up for sale!

It's Evolution Baby!

TheGiantTribble

posted on 25/6/11 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
WOW that's going to be fast
500 horses per tonne....sounds a blast
But with only three contact patchs are you going to get as much smile/cornering performance as you would if you leave it as a four wheeler?

Humbug

posted on 25/6/11 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a winner! Keep us updated on progress

btw, the picture of the c/f tub in the first pic (without many scale references) makes it look like a lightweight prop tunnel/centre console

ceebmoj

posted on 27/6/11 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
As other have said looks like a very interesting project keep us up to date with the progress.

also with out wanting to be crass how much was the tub. I ask because its such a lovely thing to look at I would put one on the wall.

scootz

posted on 29/6/11 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys!

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 29/6/11 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
also with out wanting to be crass how much was the tub. I ask because its such a lovely thing to look at I would put one on the wall.

Not cheap, but not as much as you would think.

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 29/6/11 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Just back from a trip down south to fetch the Beemer engine (Leicestershire, then Nottinghamshire to drop it off and then back to East Lothian). Been on the road since 4am... knackered.com!

Got to sit in the carbon tub and make 'broom-broom' noises! Loads of room in there... even for an adonis like me!

Not had a chance to weigh it yet, but I can lift it with one hand!

First time I've seen all the bits together and I'm really pleased. The engine may be an airhead, but it sure looks swish!

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 1/7/11 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Got my rear shock and brake caliper today!

It's Evolution Baby!

Kwik

posted on 1/7/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
just...

this will be amazing... what are you going to do about a roll hoop though, you are missing a wheel remember

[Edited on 1/7/11 by Kwik]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 1/7/11 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers!

There are ali honeycomb panels sandwiched between most of the CF layers in the back-end to add strength and rigidity. The roll hoop bolts through one of these.

It's Evolution Baby!

russbost

posted on 1/7/11 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
First dibs when you change your mind!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
scootz

posted on 2/7/11 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
First dibs when you change your mind!

I'm keeping it!

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 16/7/11 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking about the roll-hoop assy.

I'm going to have a stainless plate with a T45 hoop welded onto it. Can anyone suggest a thickness for the plate and a wall thickness for the hoop?

The plate will be fitted using 8 bolts (yellow dots) and 2 harness bolts (red dots).

It's Evolution Baby!

alistairolsen

posted on 17/7/11 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
either 45x2.5mm or 50x2mm as recommended by the MSA.

I wouldnt use stainless for the plate and have a mixed metal weld on the base of my roll bar hoops either, do it all in steel and powercoat it.

My Build Thread

eddie99

posted on 17/7/11 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely does look good, second dibs when both you and Russ change your mind
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
T66

posted on 17/7/11 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
I knew once you had sent me the picture of the tub , you were wavering on the other chassis.

Its a valid point avoiding all the Windle Welding, its going to look (and go) very well Scott.....

matt_gsxr

posted on 17/7/11 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Why not duplicate the lovely CF thing in your previous photo?

Steve Hignett

posted on 17/7/11 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Why not duplicate the lovely CF thing in your previous photo?

It wouldn't be a 2 second job, but it could be done

scootz

posted on 17/7/11 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
I could, but I want it road-registered and IVA would be a PITA!!!

Besides, I want something completely different, so 3 wheels it is!

It's Evolution Baby!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.