Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil and storage of a ZX12r engine
Paul (Notts)

posted on 8/4/12 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Oil and storage of a ZX12r engine

Right…I have a ZX12r engine sat in the garage and need some advice on the best way to store it. Its unlikely to be started for the next 6 months so what do I need to do.

With the V8 engine I just popped some oil down the spark plug holes and turned it over via the crank pulley once every two weeks.

The zx12r engine currently has no oil in it, so the first task is to add oil, but how to I go about turning it over.

Any advice on

what oil or
how to turn it over or
how to add oil

Is welcome.

Paul

Ps. Two more small jobs to do on the house and then I can start the chassis.

Slimy38

posted on 8/4/12 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I've had my bike sat stationary for six months, and all I did was an oil change when it had got back on the road. Then again, all the holes were filled with spark plugs, carbs etc so I'm not sure the same would apply to a standalone engine.

As for turning it over, I think you should find a hex bolt on the stator (left hand side of the engine usually), you can either turn it by hand if you're strong enough or get a spanner on it and turn it over. With no spark plugs there won't be any compression and surprisingly little resistance. (It's no V8!!). When I was fixing my gearbox I was able to find TDC fairly easily by just turning the stator.

ReMan

posted on 8/4/12 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I would'nt bother putting oil in. Other than, as you =say, a bit down the plug holes an move it ove a bit.
Yo may be able to turn it using the sprocket-shaft in 6th gear, it only wants moning slightly now and again at best

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.