Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: donor coilovers?
Slimy38

posted on 3/9/13 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
donor coilovers?

Is there any car that can be used as a donor for Haynes roadster coilovers? I'm guessing a spring change would be required to take into account the reduced weight, and maybe some creative fixing methods?

Or at the very least use coilovers for the front, and donor suspension for the rear?

loggyboy

posted on 3/9/13 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Is there any car that can be used as a donor for Haynes roadster coilovers? I'm guessing a spring change would be required to take into account the reduced weight, and maybe some creative fixing methods?

Or at the very least use coilovers for the front, and donor suspension for the rear?

Its highly unlikely, most standard cars dont use coilivers, and they alsmost certainly wouldnt have adjustable platforms. Even after market coilvers intended for tintops are more likely to be mcpherson strut fronts or have vertical mounts for the rear shock tower.
Standard kitcar/universal coilovers arent rare or that expensive anyway.

Mistral Motorsport

Slimy38

posted on 3/9/13 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

Its highly unlikely, most standard cars dont use coilivers, and they alsmost certainly wouldnt have adjustable platforms. Even after market coilvers intended for tintops are more likely to be mcpherson strut fronts or have vertical mounts for the rear shock tower.
Standard kitcar/universal coilovers arent rare or that expensive anyway.

Yeah, very good point. I just wondered if I could reuse anything rather than simply binning it as it looks to be in half decent condition (not enough to sell but enough to reuse). I'm in no hurry so I can wait for second hand kit to come around.

rodgling

posted on 3/9/13 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I had some old Koni coilovers off an Elise (non-height adjustable) which might be useable, think I binned them but you can have them for postage costs if I still have them.
hkp57

posted on 3/9/13 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
As good as getting a bargin may seem the whole point of a seven type locost is the handling, even second hand shocks may end up costing you more if they are shot and need re-building.

Suspension and brakes don't cut corners, you WILL regret it later.

jps

posted on 3/9/13 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure i've seen a thread somewhere about making your own coil overs (using dampers from a VW Beetle perhaps?) I may have completely made that up - but I seem to remember that at the time the general opinion expressed was "why bother when you can buy them for £100 a corner - and they are a REALLY important part of the handling!!!"
mark chandler

posted on 3/9/13 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
For much cheapness you need to be looking at motorbike rear shocks, most mono rear shocks have two way adjustment and twiddly seats to set height, the only problem is they are quite compact.

Price is all over the place on eBay, I,d look at something common ones like R6 or R1 and buy up at the 99p prices as and when they appear.

Regards Mark

SPYDER

posted on 3/9/13 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
We used R1 shocks on our Phoenix build. Front and rear. We threw away the preload adjust gubbins and made new upper and lower collars. They have a huge range of damping adjustment and can be picked up CHEAP. You will need new springs though, as they come with VERY stiff ones as standard. 500 lb or so.
The main problem is that they are physically short and have limited travel. Only 2 1/2" or so. I machined an adaptor for the front and made up extension boxes for the rear. The limited travel isn't such a problem on our trackday car but could be tricky for road use.
Geoff

Slimy38

posted on 3/9/13 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Mmm, bike monoshocks might be an interesting route to take. Are replacement springs easy to get hold of?
MikeCapon

posted on 3/9/13 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Mmm, bike monoshocks might be an interesting route to take. Are replacement springs easy to get hold of?

Most (90%) bike monoshocks are fitted with 2.25" ID springs so, Yes..

www.shock-factory.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
OfCourseIam

posted on 21/9/13 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Make some regular services that can be provided to solve in it and then adjust it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.