Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: newbie with a couple of questions about painting
silverfox56

posted on 15/3/15 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
newbie with a couple of questions about painting

Hi all
This is my first post and first question
I'm currently building my third streetfighter build and I've painted them all two was black one had metal flake in , and they both came out great my third was candy apple red and that one came out great.
But this one I'm having problems with so my question is.
Question 1 primer has cracked on some of my parts ,
Question 2 I'm using 2k lacquer with a candy concentrate and I've missed a couple of places and I have a couple of runs , so can I rub it down with 600 wet/dry and recover ??

any advice will be appreciated

Paul

ali2992

posted on 15/3/15 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I don't have an answer but I'm thinking of painting mine, what sort of equipment did you use? Gravity fed gun or spray can? Did you use a particular sequence or just primer, paint then lacquer? Sorry to hijack!
silverfox56

posted on 15/3/15 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I rubbed very thing down with 600 wet/dry then I primer filler rub that down, then I put the base coat on two or three coats , then clear coat 2k.
I use hvlp gun I have a 100ltr air compressor

I hope this helps if you need to know anything else just ask

Paul

madteg

posted on 15/3/15 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Use bar coat after primer to put a barrier between the base coats.
austin man

posted on 15/3/15 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
sound like a bar coat is needed befor the primer coat as one of the paints are shrinking I had a similar problem years ago but it didnt manifest itself until 6 months after painting the care resulted in a bare metal respray wasnt happy

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

IanSouthLincs

posted on 19/3/15 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Are you painting in a heated workshop? If not I'd say your cracking is because it's too cold at the moment. Don't forget it's not necessarily the air temperature, it's the temperature of the bodywork itself, so even if your workshop is heated it will take a good few hours for the bodywork to get up to temperature.
In my limited experience, yes you can flat off clear coat and go again, but definitely not a basecoat don't go anywhere near that with wet n dry. Only other thing is 600 wet n dry sounds a bit coarse to me, it will leave score marks, if you're going on with clear again I'd rather use 1000 - 1200 personally. Just my opinion though :-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.