Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Potential Fuel Tank Problems
IanSouthLincs

posted on 11/5/15 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Potential Fuel Tank Problems

Guys, I think I may have hit a couple of snags with my rebuild and would like some advice. I never really paid too much attention to the fuel tank as to be honest it didn't leak, already had a sender on it and fit in the gap I needed it to go. So after finishing my chassis, I've mounted it direct to the chassis to be self earthing and welded in the back crossmember after fitting.
Things I've just noticed are, there are no vents in the tank, and the inlet neck is 47mm. Am I right in thinking I can just use a vented cap to get around pressurising problems? The inlet neck however is worrying me as I can only find fuel filler pipe in 51mm and 57mm, does 47mm even exist or is it a really weird size for an inlet. Not sure about clamping 51mm pipe down with a jubilee clip, but it's all I can think of at the minute! Any advice most welcome!

britishtrident

posted on 11/5/15 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
The normal way to mount a tank is to isolate it from the chassis as mounting direct to the chassis can often lead to fatigue cracks or chaffing.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

snapper

posted on 11/5/15 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Get a metal reducer that has an outside diameter the same as the internal of your filler pipe that flares out to the normal filler pipe diameter
You can secure this with fibreglass or I saw in B&Q a fibre bandage repair kit that claims to work on all sorts of pipe and go as hard as steel when it cures

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

IanSouthLincs

posted on 12/5/15 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, some rethinking to do on this, it's been mounted direct since 1992 and looks fine, but it is quite old, I'm tempted to just bin it off and get a new aluminium one :-)

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.