Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Forged zetec pistons
Shooter63

posted on 23/7/15 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Forged zetec pistons

I'm starting to get the parts together for my zetec winter rebuild, where is the best place ( ie cheapest ) to buy zetec forged pistons from?

Cheers

Shooter

Paul Turner

posted on 24/7/15 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
You don't want cheap you want good. Anything else is a possible waste of money.
Shooter63

posted on 24/7/15 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turner

Is there such a thing as bad forged pistons? If so what type do I need to avoid.

Shooter

Paul Turner

posted on 25/7/15 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shooter63
quote:

Is there such a thing as bad forged pistons? If so what type do I need to avoid.

Shooter

Buy only form a reputable source such as Burto Power. Buy the right part and you will only have to buy once, if you buy cheap you could well end up buying twice.

But why bother with buying pistons. You can but a complete brand new crate Blacktop which costs a lot less than rebuilding an engine. After selling the bits I did not need my Blacktop stands me at about £500.

Shooter63

posted on 25/7/15 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Shooter

Buy only form a reputable source such as Burto Power. Buy the right part and you will only have to buy once, if you buy cheap you could well end up buying twice.

But why bother with buying pistons. You can but a complete brand new crate Blacktop which costs a lot less than rebuilding an engine. After selling the bits I did not need my Blacktop stands me at about £500.

Ok but which pistons are you saying are rubbish, so far I've found 4 different manufactures
Accralite ( used these before quality product )
Wossner ( never used them but plenty of people seem to )
Je pistons ( used them before good quality )
Ross racing ( used them before, built like tanks and can take all sorts of abuse ( nitrous etc))

I've already got a zetec on tb's etc but want more power ( like we all do) so I'm going to rebuild the bottom end with steel rods/ forged pistons, a nice head , p4 newman cams etc e6 bgh box and a slipper in the rear. But like anybody I just want to find the best deal on any item that I buy.

Shooter

coozer

posted on 25/7/15 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Check out pumaspeed for rs mk1 focus..

Pistons are cheaper from USA on eBay but with shipping and custom £££ its just as cheap to buy from puma's unless your very lucky!

I'll be going for the wossner ones for my turbo build.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

prawnabie

posted on 25/7/15 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Shooter

Don't forget the crate engines are now NOS, they stopping manufacturing them in 2004 so 99% of them are going to be at least 11 years old, thus requiring cam belt changes.

Paul Turner

posted on 25/7/15 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
Don't forget the crate engines are now NOS, they stopping manufacturing them in 2004 so 99% of them are going to be at least 11 years old, thus requiring cam belt changes.

100% will be 11 years old. But what's the issue fitting a new cam belt. Changed mine when the engine came up to 10 years old but had only done 10,000 miles in 5 years in the car.

prawnabie

posted on 26/7/15 at 06:10 AM Reply With Quote
brand new suggests they are exactly that, which they aren't- they are NOS now. Just a little extra cost to factor in if deciding to buy a crate vs rebuild

[Edited on 26/7/15 by prawnabie]

750mc

posted on 26/7/15 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
What size engine do you have? If it's an 1800 ditch it and put a 2000 in it for starters. 15bhp ish there for starters.
Shooter63

posted on 26/7/15 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 750mc
What size engine do you have? If it's an 1800 ditch it and put a 2000 in it for starters. 15bhp ish there for starters.

It's a 2.0 already, it reads 160bhp at the fly, I want about the same but at the wheels hence the planned upgrades.

Shooter

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.