Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice wanted house alarm
watsonpj

posted on 21/3/16 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Advice wanted house alarm

Hi guys
I'm looking to get a house alarm (we seem to be the only house in the street without one and there has been some issues locally) something like this
linky

anyone got any experience of them or similar.

cheers Pete

Slimy38

posted on 21/3/16 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
It looks very similar to the basic one I fitted, at least the alarm box and detectors are the same. Setting it up was fairly easy (even if it was a little ungraceful hanging out the window to fit it in place!). I wasn't overly impressed by the door/window contacts though, they are surprisingly beefy and difficult to fit on UPVC windows and doors. It took a lot of trial and error to have them positioned so that the magnets would work, and they're not exactly as discreet as I might have liked. The one on the door actually needed a little stand off to bring it in line with the magnet.

The PIR's work well though, and I've not had any false alarms from any of it (which is the usual complaint if you look for reviews). It's also useful to be able to add devices, we seem to have an excessive number of opening windows downstairs so being able to add window sensors was good.

Actually, I've just noticed, the Amazon link has three options in it, the 'standard DIY Alarm kit' is the one I have.

BenB

posted on 21/3/16 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yup- we've got one of those too. Does the job. Totally agree about the door / window sensors though- ridiculously chunky. Good range of extra features / add-ons. I added a panic alarm near the front door for good measure...
Adam

posted on 21/3/16 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Yep,

just fitted one of these in my house. Added additional sensors. also have a Yale CCTV set up linked to it. So i can sit and look at my car in the garage from my desk at work Overall im more than happy with it, loads of features and easy to install.

Ads

pewe

posted on 21/3/16 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Problem with DIY is that IIRC Insurance companies only recognise those installed by an approved fitter (read closed shop) so there won't be any insurance policy discount.
If however the idea is to deter the scrotes no problem.
When I did my system besides the one near the front door I also fitted a panic alarm near the bed-head and a PIR in the garage.

Cheers, Pewe10

Slimy38

posted on 21/3/16 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Problem with DIY is that IIRC Insurance companies only recognise those installed by an approved fitter (read closed shop) so there won't be any insurance policy discount.
If however the idea is to deter the scrotes no problem.
When I did my system besides the one near the front door I also fitted a panic alarm near the bed-head and a PIR in the garage.

Cheers, Pewe10

When I was looking for alarms, I did a few house insurance quotes with an alarm or not. It dropped it by a few pounds, nowhere near enough to cover a fitter and annual maintenance that was part of the small print. Then again, I only pay just over £100 for buildings and contents.

It's purely the big yellow box on the front of the house, and the stickers in the windows.

skydivepaul

posted on 21/3/16 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I have been fitting security systems for over 25 years, don't do many domestics only commercial systems however
Whatever alarm you fit make sure you put the sensors where you want them pick up not only where they are easy to fit.
Seems obvious but once you start fitting and the cabling is a ball ache you can be tempted just to fit them where it is easy to wire
Put your external bell high and not easy to be tampered with by a potential burglar
Make sure you have a couple of high powered Sounders inside the house.
As soon as the alarm is triggered you want all hell to break loose inside as well as outside.
This is usually enough to put the shits up a thief and leg it

In most burglaries I see, once the alarm is sounding the thieves tend to run as they don't want to be caught

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

Slimy38

posted on 21/3/16 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul
Make sure you have a couple of high powered Sounders inside the house.

I'd second this particular point, with modern houses being quite soundproof it's amazing how quiet even the loudest sounder is when you're inside!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.