Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Custom roll cages
Retroboltsuk

posted on 18/4/16 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Custom roll cages

Hi

has anyone had a custom cage fitted to their cars? i have a tiger avon tiger sell a roll cage but £800 seems a little steep i could be wrong.

if any one has had one made could you let me know rough cost?

thanks

mark chandler

posted on 18/4/16 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
You need quality in a roll cage, however if you are confident in your welding skills then draw out what you want and ask 'tube bender' on eBay to produce a flat pack.

This should be around £200 at a guess, CDS is not cheap.

nick205

posted on 18/4/16 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
For me it would come down to what certification it held once fitted. Personally I'd prefer a welded in roll cage that was a structural part of the chassis - bolted on cages always strike me as an afterthought.

Retroboltsuk

posted on 18/4/16 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt want to do it my self, dont mind if it is a bolt in but if i was having one made i would have it welded in.

its more just to see if the £800 they are asking is right or are they demanding that because they are the only company that sell the cage for the avon

mark chandler

posted on 18/4/16 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Does not sound unreasonable, is the car equipped with suitable mounting points from the factory?

Unless it has nice 3mm thick plates to bolt into as per the bkue book I would be getting a price for a cage fully welded in myself.

neilp1

posted on 19/4/16 at 05:58 AM Reply With Quote
I have the Tiger cage and in my opinion it is worth £800. I'm a plater by trade, could of made my own, but once you factor in buying the materials, having the tube bent up and then your time to fit/weld and cost of powder coating you might as well buy one.
nick205

posted on 19/4/16 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Retroboltsuk
I wouldnt want to do it my self, dont mind if it is a bolt in but if i was having one made i would have it welded in.

its more just to see if the £800 they are asking is right or are they demanding that because they are the only company that sell the cage for the avon

£800 supplied and fitted doesn't sound unreasonable, but I assume you'd have to get the car to and from them, which might be some effort involving a 2nd car and lifts etc. As above, I'd also assume the chassis has suitable bolt in plates already fitted otherwise that should be included in the price and would (I imagine) require some strip down on your part.

neilp1

posted on 19/4/16 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
£800 supplied not fitted
DJT

posted on 19/4/16 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
I got the cage via Tiger. Had to fit it myself, but was not too difficult. Very pleased with it.

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

mackei23b

posted on 19/4/16 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
My cage is bolted in, it all depends on how it is bolted in....

Here is a Caterham with a standard Roadsport cage that is bolted in, the R300 race cars also have a bolted in cage.

And here being tested.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nmt_16-Zdk ouch!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Retroboltsuk

neilp1

posted on 19/4/16 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DJT
I got the cage via Tiger. Had to fit it myself, but was not too difficult. Very pleased with it.

I fitted mine also. Went together fine.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.