Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Steering Column - drilling hole / hollow?
z2000

posted on 9/5/16 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra Steering Column - drilling hole / hollow?

Hi, has anyone got an experience with the Sierra steering columns in terms of drilling through the steering wheel end?

I'm wondering about feeding a wire down though the shaft and then out the side to be able to connect it up to the loom for steering wheel buttons etc.

I would be looking to cut the threaded end off to weld a quick release spline on so it will be machined either way.

Cheers

If it isn't broken; take it apart and fix it! Build PhotoBlog:
http://z2000.co.uk

40inches

posted on 9/5/16 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
You may be better fitting a slip ring, if you have space?
MG TF MGTF MGF 1.6 1.8 STEERING WHEEL AIRBAG HORN SRS SLIP RING SQUIB YRC100300
Description
Description

z2000

posted on 9/5/16 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks but I'm looking at 10 plus wires and I didn't think you could get a slip ring for that, plus I'd like to lose the large Sierra to 6 bolt steering wheel boss adapter. It blocks my view of the bottom of the dash.

I'd planned to cut down the column and machine the ignition barrel off such that the top of the outer column is cylindrical.

z2000

posted on 9/5/16 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
I might be pushing myself down the route of a brand new bespoke column....

This is what I was looking at:

http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/Product/QRE1-5-3B-12%20Standard%2012%20Pin%20Lemo%20Electrical%20%20steering%20quick%20release%20system

[Edited on 9/5/2016 by z2000]

02GF74

posted on 14/5/16 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Firstly the centre part of a solid rod adds little to strength so you are ok drilling it providing the hole is not too big, this is dome on land rover half shafts if you wish to google. How large a hole you can safely drill is another question, you maybe better pff making a new column drom cds tubing.

How will you prevent the wires from twisting where they come out? The movement will break them pretty quickly, plus wont they come out through the uj?

Youd be better off using circumferential slip rings, cut narrow sections of copper pipe and epoxy onto the column, then spring loaded contacts. The more accurate you can make it the better. There may be something off the shelf but expect it to be £££ as theyre normally precision stuff for high rpm shafts.

Incidentally, radial slip rings have been made from concentric circular copper tracks on a pcb so very cheap but my gut feel is they wont last long.

rdodger

posted on 14/5/16 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
A mate of mine did buttons on the wheel for indicators, flash, horn and push to talk for intercom/radio.

He mad his own electronics for flash rate etc then fitted using a spiral multi strand cable that plugged into the dash via one of those military type round plugs.

This worked perfectly for many years and was a lot cheaper than that quick release.

ALLAN 14

posted on 14/5/16 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Drilling Steering column

Hi.
I think that drilling the column will effect the integrity of the column, how much would depend on the size of hole you drill.
As an alternative if you go over to the Electric section of the forum you will find a post for "Free wheel wireless steering wheel" It comes with 4 or 8 buttons and all control gear.
This would seem to be a better option as you would get programable use on the buttons without having to buy all the extra electronics,Also would be the ultimate imobiliser if used in conjunction with a removable steering wheel.
I have no conection with this outfit I just cane across it yesterday and thought that it deserves to be sucessful as it gives KIT cars the ability to have street car controls.

Best of luck please post results if you decide to try.

ALLAN 14

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.