New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nottingham or Derby IVA Centre
Steelman

posted on 9/5/16 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Nottingham or Derby IVA Centre

Any thoughts on which centre is more builder friendly
Adam

posted on 9/5/16 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Put two cars through Nottingham, BEC Mk Indy and a Zetec MEV Rocket. Both times very helpful and polite, very welcoming.

Only did an MSVA at Derby so IVA team may be different but again the staff there are all very polite and helpful.

Me, I would choose Nottingham due to logistics but i don't think there's nothing between them service wise.

Cheers

Ads

40inches

posted on 9/5/16 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Nottingham are very helpful, and really want to give a pass
Irony

posted on 9/5/16 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thumbs up for Nottingham! Didn't even charge me for a retest after I broke down on the way there. Had a IVA with both testers and both were great. Took me through every fail point and told me what to do to fix.
mac1ZR

posted on 9/5/16 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Nottingham, ----had 4 cars SVA d there, always extremely helpful
swanny

posted on 10/5/16 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
my old one went through derby. very helpful and constructive given the number of fail points :-)
SteveWallace

posted on 12/5/16 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
+1 for Nottingham, although I have no experience of Derby to compare.

Nottingham were very helpful on the day, even going for tea breaks whilst Irony and I fixed things that would have otherwise been fails. Also, I only live a couple of miles away and they were happy to give advice on how they interpreted the IVA rules on various issues when I just turned up out of the blue to ask. e.g. someone very clearly described what they were prepared to accept on the much discussed issue of locking brake bias bars.

If you're not too far away, keep a lookout for someone on here booking a test at Nottingham before you and see if they will let you come along to their test. I found it very useful and you're an extra pair of hands if anything needs sorting on the day.

P.S. I notice that you're building a Viento. I live 5 minutes off J26 of the M1 so if you're passing by need a look at anything on mine, let me know

[Edited on 12/5/16 by SteveWallace]

Rosco86

posted on 30/5/16 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
they were happy to give advice on how they interpreted the IVA rules on various issues when I just turned up out of the blue to ask. e.g. someone very clearly described what they were prepared to accept on the much discussed issue of locking brake bias bars.

Can you remember what they said?

My Build Thread

SteveWallace

posted on 1/6/16 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Their interpretation is that the bar has to be locked in some way that means that it cannot be adjusted without tools. The tester positively doesn't like the drill and lock wire method as he says that it can weaken the bar, which is a critical component part of the brakes.

The advice was to use two nuts on each end of the bar, tightened against each other as you would normally do with a pair of lock nuts. I did this but with the added protection of one of the nuts on each end being a nylock. Absolutely impossible to move without spanners and passed without comment.

Be careful though as I know that testers at other stations may not necessarily agree.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.