Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Thinking about building a kit car...
SlopeSoarer

posted on 12/6/16 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking about building a kit car...

... well I have been for the last 1/3rd of a century! Reasons why I haven't done it have been lack of space, experience and money. We've recently moved and now have a double garage, kids have grown up, I'm now semi retired and have more time, I have a little bit of disposable cash and so now seems like the right time if I'm ever going to do it!

So what would I like to build? High on my list are Sylva J15/Vectis/Spectre, Phoenix, Fury, Striker, Riot (spot the theme).

CEC rather than BEC as I'm more interested in a road car rather than track car. I will be more of a polished than tinkerer when completed, so really want to get my spec right from the outset. I don't want anything to extreme, 130-150BHP in approx 500kg will be enough for me!

Budget wise I'd ideally like to keep the money side closer to £10k but would go up to £12k or am I dreaming?

I need to start getting out and visiting suppliers/manufacturers.

I'm interested in your experiences, advice, etc. If you have break down of costs on what you have built (and would be prepared to share) it could be helpful for me to get my head around where my money will go.

Any recommended reading?

I suppose I could try and do it the lazy way and wait for a mint condition (one of the above cars) car to come along : )

Simon

coozer

posted on 12/6/16 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Not fancy a self build? Midlana for me with a turbo zetec....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

adithorp

posted on 12/6/16 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
There is a halfway house between starting from scratch and waiting for a mint condition one for sale. Buy a tatty but sound registered car. Use it for a summer and decide what you like and don't like. Then strip it down and rebuild to your preference. Used cars are cheaper than the build cost and you avoid the IVA/registration process so at least £500 and a lot of stress saved there. Even if the engine or running gear aren't what you'd want, you can upgrade when you rebuild.

You're also welcome to come and look at my Fury sometime.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

SlopeSoarer

posted on 12/6/16 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Not fancy a self build? Midlana for me with a turbo zetec....

I'd not heard of a Midlana before... just Googled it. Reminds me of a bigger Riot in the image I've just seen. As for self build, it's probably a step to far for me. Maybe next time: )

SlopeSoarer

posted on 12/6/16 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
There is a halfway house between starting from scratch and waiting for a mint condition one for sale. Buy a tatty but sound registered car. Use it for a summer and decide what you like and don't like. Then strip it down and rebuild to your preference. Used cars are cheaper than the build cost and you avoid the IVA/registration process so at least £500 and a lot of stress saved there. Even if the engine or running gear aren't what you'd want, you can upgrade when you rebuild.

You're also welcome to come and look at my Fury sometime.

The approach you mention doesn't immediately appeal to me but it does have merit and I must admit at being gob smacked at the cost of an IVA? I think I frightened of picking up a bad one!

I appreciate your offer regarding taking a look at your Fury and will take you up on it at some point if that's ok?

Cheers

Simon

adithorp

posted on 12/6/16 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
No problem. I'm away from next week so anytime July onward.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

AdrianH

posted on 13/6/16 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
You say lack of experience, so I would say a self build from scratch is not what you are thinking off.

If you have more money you could go for a Westfield kit, a bit like the series on sky once where the guy built one from parts, basically a big Meccano set, even more expensive is the Caterham.

There must be lots of other self build where you can buy as you go along.

What type of tools do you have, lathe, milling machine welder, band-saw etc? Or just a few basic tools?
depending on that answer could also mean you are taken down a certain route.

The easiest would be to buy a car that has been properly put on the road and is correctly registered, then change things like the dashboard and interior trim, the hardest route would be a complete self build from plans/book, but even these nowadays you can buy the chassis from various places.

You just have to be honest in what you would like to achieve and in how long?

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

SlopeSoarer

posted on 13/6/16 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdrianH
You say lack of experience, so I would say a self build from scratch is not what you are thinking off.

If you have more money you could go for a Westfield kit, a bit like the series on sky once where the guy built one from parts, basically a big Meccano set, even more expensive is the Caterham.

There must be lots of other self build where you can buy as you go along.

What type of tools do you have, lathe, milling machine welder, band-saw etc? Or just a few basic tools?
depending on that answer could also mean you are taken down a certain route.

The easiest would be to buy a car that has been properly put on the road and is correctly registered, then change things like the dashboard and interior trim, the hardest route would be a complete self build from plans/book, but even these nowadays you can buy the chassis from various places.

You just have to be honest in what you would like to achieve and in how long?

Adrian

I agree with what you say.... self build from scratch, nooooo!

Caterham, Westfield kits yes but too much (I had a nice Caterham and regrettably sold it).

I've had a couple of offers from people who have built cars and are now looking for their next project and I will look at them seriously.

I started life as an engineer. I do have decent tools, not lathe, or milling machine. Yes to band saw.

[Edited on 14/6/16 by SlopeSoarer]

johnnybizzle1986

posted on 14/6/16 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I have always built mine from scratch or picked up an abandoned projects and made it my own off ebay (locost sevens). usually people have spent along time gathering parts or spent a lot of money on kit. my advice would be as above try and get hold of an unfinished project or a project in need of a little TLC already road legal may not be exactly what you want. don't invest too much money into the car, get some miles in, have a bit of fun and then can start adding your personal touches/preferences to the car in winter when the weather isn't up to much.

Im sure you will enjoy what ever comes along.

Regards Jon

jps

posted on 14/6/16 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
I was in a similar position to you (although without so much of the free time - which has postponed progress over the last 2 years severly!).

Originally I intended to get a kit - likely a GBS Zero, or similar- but I did not get as far as choosing one for definite because - in the end I picked up a skeleton of a Haynes Roadster fairly locally - as it seemed to give me lots of parts at a cheap-ish price.

The point on your skills (although these are developable) and tools (and these can be bought) is a good one, but don't forget :
a) you can outsource work you don't have the skills or tools for - e.g. no-one actually powder coats their own stuff I don't think, likewise anything that requires a lathe I will not do myself...

b) on a 'kit' you might need to do some work you did not anticipate - I have no direct experience but am not sure how 'bolt together' any kit really is - with the exception of the Westfield/Caterham options - so perhaps you'll find you need to weld stuff even when you thought you didn't...

In the end I found myself heading for 'scratch build - with a head start'.

My fear with a mostly built or already IVA'd car was that i may end up reworking so much i may as well have started where I did....

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.