Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Harvard Flight Experience
Slater

posted on 6/7/19 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Harvard Flight Experience

To celebrate reaching 50 yrs my family got me a flight experience. Here are some pics and youtube link to the full video clip of my 30 minute flight in an old WW2 training plane called the Harvard, with a very loud 600 HP radial engine. We flew from Compton Abbas airfield, near Salisbury, over Poole Harbour, did a 1.5 G turn round Old Harry Rocks at 15 mins. On the way back to Compton Abbas at 21 mins we did some maneuvers; wing overs and aileron rolls. See my reaction when we went upside down!

I did feel a bit queasy when he did the "run and break" turn 1 minute after taking off and at Old Harry. The best way to avoid feeling sick is to keep looking out of the cockpit. Absolutely brilliant experience!

Youtube Linker

Harvard Plane 1
Harvard Plane 1

Harvard Plane 2
Harvard Plane 2

Harvard Plane 3
Harvard Plane 3

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

gremlin1234

posted on 6/7/19 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
looks like you enjoyed that

Ivan

posted on 7/7/19 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
That must have been fun. In South Africa they were using them for training until phasing them out in 1991 and I can well remember the distinctive sound of them flying overhead. They were then 50 years old.

http://www.theharvard.co.za/the-harvard-club-of-south-africa

David Jenkins

posted on 7/7/19 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
This Canadian pilot has been learning to fly one for a historical flying association: it's clearly a BIG step up from normal private aircraft. During WW2 it was what you flew just before moving on to a Hurricane or Spitfire... he reckons that it's not an easy aircraft to fly.

[Edited on 7/7/19 by David Jenkins]

Slater

posted on 7/7/19 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Yep it's an old plane, this one was 75 yrs old. As it has full dual controls they made sure I did not accidentally touch the pedals, stick or knock the throttle when doing the aerobatics, by getting me to hook my thumbs into shoulder harness straps. It's pretty basic inside, but seemed very well looked after.

I've always wanted to get a flight in an old WW2 plane. I did look into a passenger ride in a spitfire but cost was 2,750 !! This was less than 1/5th of that price, still expensive but well worth it for one of my bucket list. Maybe tandem freefall parachute next.......

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Mash

posted on 15/7/19 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
That's not too far from Me Mate, and as it happens I know Gordon, the pilot really well

I think he does a lot of experience stuff up there, as well as teaching. He's been helping James May a lot recently.

Bit of a character isn't he

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.