Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Perfect driving position?
GWD

posted on 11/7/19 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Perfect driving position?

Hi, I'm about to start constructing a mock-up of the interior of my car, but I was wondering whether anyone had any tips as to what the perfect driving position is? I mean, I'd expect it to be whatever feels most comfortable to the driver, but I'm a perfectionist and question whether I even setup my everyday car - an MX-5 - to have the correct seating position!

I guess what I'm looking for are angles and dimensions. I understand the seating position in the Elemental RP1 is exceptional, but I don't have one to hand to take measurements from!

Perhaps even the seating position in a Caterham 7 is pretty spot-on? I wouldn't know as I've never driven one, which is lame, eh!

Anyway, any help or advice would be great! I'm looking to accomodate occupants up to 6'4", unless I should consider taller?

nick205

posted on 11/7/19 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Tin tops I've always adjested the drivers seat to as low down as it will go (figuring it'll lower the cars centre of gravity) and the steering wheel height to a comfortable position. My MK Indy I fixed the seats at a comfortable distance from the fixed location pedals - I concentrated on making sure I could push hard on the brake pedal as and when required.
pigeondave

posted on 11/7/19 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
I found this
Any good?
https://www.iea.cc/congress/2015/1813.pdf

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 11/7/19 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Your a perfectionist and have an Mx5 ????

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

GWD

posted on 11/7/19 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pigeondave
I found this
Any good?
https://www.iea.cc/congress/2015/1813.pdf

You absolute legend!!! Thank you!

GWD

posted on 11/7/19 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Your a perfectionist and have an Mx5 ????

Haha! Fair point. Unfortunately I'm a perfectionist who's not got deep enough pockets for anything better!

coyoteboy

posted on 11/7/19 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
The fsae report is useful but be aware they're designing for very short races. Having driven one based on similar values, it was comfy for short times but not exactly grand tourer comfy lol

GWD

posted on 11/7/19 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
The fsae report is useful but be aware they're designing for very short races. Having driven one based on similar values, it was comfy for short times but not exactly grand tourer comfy lol

Good point, although I'm certainly not designing a GT here! Haha! What was it that you drove that was based on similar values, if you don't mind me asking?

coyoteboy

posted on 12/7/19 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
A formula student single seater

GWD

posted on 15/7/19 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
A formula student single seater

Oh, ha! I misread your previous message. I thought you meant you'd driven a production car with a driving position based on similar values. Cheers for the clarification.

hughpinder

posted on 15/7/19 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Using models such as the linked ones are great for manufacturer who are aiming to suit '95% mr/mrs average'. If you want the perfect position for you, build a mock up out of ply and including pedals, steering wheel and gear change, according to that model and sit in it for a couple of hours, then start tweaking..... I did this and found my ideal was not the same as the 'model' one.
Have fun
Regards
Hugh

nick205

posted on 15/7/19 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
Using models such as the linked ones are great for manufacturer who are aiming to suit '95% mr/mrs average'. If you want the perfect position for you, build a mock up out of ply and including pedals, steering wheel and gear change, according to that model and sit in it for a couple of hours, then start tweaking..... I did this and found my ideal was not the same as the 'model' one.
Have fun
Regards
Hugh

I can see the logic here, nothing better than "real world" testing.

In my MK Indy I used the donor Sierra hand brake lever fitted to the MK chassis mounting points. After driving the car for an hour or so I realised it was in the way of my left elbow. A shorter hand brake lever mounted further back would have solved this annoyance.

jester
Contributor

Posts 169
Registered 21/5/17

Photo Archive Go!
Building: brought Jester.building a Jester own a Striker

posted on 16/7/19 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
I went out for a demo in a jester 18 plus years ago as I was in the passenger seat I was like loads of room so I brought as new set of Cobra roadster seats what a bad idea when I tried them in the car I was building they where no good at all my knees are up round my ears so you can't turn the steering wheel have now brought a set of GRP seats now when I tried them in your back side is sat a lot lower and my head is under the roll bar now so that works in two ways
loggyboy

posted on 19/7/19 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
This popped up on my facebook today...
https://www.skoda-motorsport.com/en/drive-like-pro-sitting-like-racing-driver/

Angel Acevedo

posted on 19/7/19 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

I have just visited the page, and I think the angle of the elbow stated is wrong...

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 19/7/19 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

I have just visited the page, and I think the angle of the elbow stated is wrong...

Too close to wheel? I thought that but watch any pro tintop racing or rallying and its amazing how upright and close to wheel they sit.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.