Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tin-Top issues again...
mcerd1

posted on 28/8/19 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Tin-Top issues again...

So here's my latest excuse for not getting on with the build of my Dax.....

The tin-top's clutch has been getting a little soft feeling for a wee while - not the worst I've ever had but a couple of weeks ago it actually started to noticeably slip (its done 94k of daily abuse, so I'm not really surprised)

but about 2 days later before I'd arranged anything for a replacement the pedal went strait to the floor with next to no resistance and while it seemed to be sort of working the clutch suddenly couldn't get the car going more than 20mph

I've not really got time for this at the moment (work, kids, school...), but as it turns out the handful of local garages I'd trust are all really busy for at least 4-6 weeks too

I just had enough clutch left to get it on the ramp (with a run-up)
took off the air filter and found all this black spaghetti - don't you just love working on modern(ish) cars
Oooo black spaghetti !
Oooo black spaghetti !

after some very well stuck-on lower arm, a starter motor and some bellhousing bolts that my 2 year old would have found difficult to get her hands into and one very awkward lower gearbox mount, and a massive oil spill (thanks to ford for not including an oil drain plug ) I finally got the box off at 1:00am this morning
Duratec IB5 - finally out
Duratec IB5 - finally out

the clutch was defiantly well worn - all but down to the rivets:
1 Clutch, Extra thin & crispy
1 Clutch, Extra thin & crispy

but somehow I think this was the bigger problem:
Mmmm - that might be problem..
Mmmm - that might be problem..

not sure how that even happens ?

now I've got to make a clutch alignment tool (not sure what happened to the one I made for the last car )
and look forward to another 2 / 3 nights of fighting to get it back on and all the pipes and wires back in place...

and I guess now is a pretty good time to clean the EGR valve thats been causing me some annoyance the last few months

[Edited on 28/8/2019 by mcerd1]

-

nick205

posted on 28/8/19 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Bummer

The first photo reminds what a lot of car engine bays look like after you remove the tidy looking plastic engine cover to reveal the real engine and all the wiring below. Not done a clutch myself for a few years, but they can certainly be an ar5e to faff about with.

Hope it goes back together OK and you're back on the road with minimal grief.

mcerd1

posted on 28/8/19 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
The first photo reminds what a lot of car engine bays look like after you remove the tidy looking plastic engine cover to reveal the real engine and all the wiring below.

yeah, that pics after removing about a 10 bits of useless plastic cover...

took about an hour to remove all the covers, at that point its more or less the exact same job as it was on my old mk1 focus (that had no plastic covers)

lots and lots of plastic!
lots and lots of plastic!

[Edited on 28/8/2019 by mcerd1]

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.