Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ST170, swap starter side?
cliftyhanger

posted on 26/4/20 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
ST170, swap starter side?

As I have fitted a CSC to my T9 gearbox, is there anything apart from buying and modifying an RS2000 bellhousing, to stop me putting the starter on the inlet side?
2 benefits to my spitfire. 1. Stop the starter getting so bloody hot, exhaust is just under it. 2. I could place the lambda sensor vertically there, as opposed to the sub-optimal position I have had to use at the moment.

Answers appreciated, and any pitfalls. Apart from £200ish for the bellhousing which will need a bit of cutting and welding.

starterman

posted on 26/4/20 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
What's a CSC?
cliftyhanger

posted on 26/4/20 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Concentric slave cylinder, or hydraulic clutch.

Have also seen a LHD iron T9 bellhousing that may work. And save a lot of wonga but not weight.

starterman

posted on 26/4/20 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
I see now.

I fitted an external slave cylinder

starterman

posted on 26/4/20 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Oh and starter can be fitted either side
big_wasa

posted on 26/4/20 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Modify the standard bell housing to take the standard Mondeo / Focus starter motor.
cliftyhanger

posted on 26/4/20 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
With the rs2000 bellhousing it can. But my chassis rails are somewhat in the way, so even my cast iron bellhousing has been chopped around the "bulges" to clear. And the starter has had one lug chopped off too still only a few mm clearance.
big_wasa

posted on 26/4/20 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
There is some pics in this post to show what I mean.

http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=959643

There is a firm that makes a custom bellhousing. I just can’t remember who.

cliftyhanger

posted on 26/4/20 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
There is some pics in this post to show what I mean.

http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=959643

There is a firm that makes a custom bellhousing. I just can’t remember who.

You are a bad man showing me that!

It almost implies a zetec starter would work in the std position. Guess it must have different mounting centres? Also interesting that the bellhousing is steel, I had assumed cast iron.

However, I have just acquired the LHD sierra bellhousing that was on ebay (chap took a cheeky offer) so that will be the simple solution. He said quickly without mentioning how awkward fitting stuff into the spitfire really is

gremlin1234

posted on 26/4/20 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I know you are not now using triumph engine or gearbox, but if I remember correctly the gt6 had the starter on the left (looking forward) whereas spitfire on the right by the exhaust. and gt6 was an alloy bellhousing :-)
big_wasa

posted on 26/4/20 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yep that’s the point..

Standard Zetec starter is a gear reduction type, they cost bugger all seondhand and it tucks it up and out the way under the inlet and away from the heat.

cliftyhanger

posted on 26/4/20 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
other way round. Spit/herald has starter passenger side, GT6/vitesse drivers side.
yes, 6 cylinder cars have ali bellhousing. An attempt to offset the heavy engine. But early heralds akso had alloy bellhousings, much sought after.

We also have another spitfire, mk3. Engine is pretty modified 1300, head/cam/roller rockers/dellorts/megajolt. Ally bellhousing on overdrive box and rotoflex rear end but with CVs. Trouble is despite all that it is not as much fun as the st engined car, and not as bombproof.

cliftyhanger

posted on 30/4/20 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Yep that’s the point..

Standard Zetec starter is a gear reduction type, they cost bugger all seondhand and it tucks it up and out the way under the inlet and away from the heat.

As I had a st170 sandwich plate on the back on a spare engine, I have forked out £10 (delivered!) for a zetec starter, see how it pans out. I can try it out on the existing bellhousing, it it fails I can use the LHD bellhousing.
I am interested in the starter, I though the throw was different but maybe not? I will soon find out.

big_wasa

posted on 30/4/20 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you have a pinto spec flywheel on your st then the throw out of the Zetec starter is perfect for the Zetec flywheel
cliftyhanger

posted on 30/4/20 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Which makes sense. But is there not a way to use the zetec starter with the T9 gearbox rather than the rarer lrs707? or is there another issue?
big_wasa

posted on 30/4/20 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
It’s a different bolt pattern

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.